Memoir 44 D-Day Gold Beach

1905-1945 (WWI & WWII)

Moderator: Duncan

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Memoir 44 D-Day Gold Beach

Postby 50th » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:36 pm

Yesterday, I played the Gold Beach map of the set of 6 D-Day maps. I selected the Gold Beach map (after I had decided on Omaha) because of the Hobart's Funnies tanks (the dark painted tanks) that were in that battle. One Hobart's funnies tank unit had a bridge attachment, the other had the large mat that allowed it to go over soft beach faster, and over barbed wire. Here is a picture after set up:
Gold 17 7 22a.jpg
Gold Beach A

Even though there are 12 medal stands on the Allied side of the map, I saw it wrong (maybe looking at the page for a different map) and thought I needed 16. So, I played to 16 by taking all three beach sections for six medals (two per beach section), and one for taking three villages, two for using a Hobart's funny to build a bridge across the La Suelles River, and seven destroyed German units. The poor Germans didn't roll very many reinforcements (the Allies did only slightly better).

And here is a picture of the end of the battle:
Gold 17 7 22b.jpg
Gold Beach B

These maps are so large, I had to play on the kitchen table (my former game table) and was finished putting it away just in time to set the table for supper!
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Return to “World War Era”