Battle of Prokhorovka

1905-1945 (WWI & WWII)

Moderator: Duncan

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Battle of Prokhorovka

Postby 50th » Wed May 04, 2016 6:56 pm

I am playing the "Official" tide of Iron scenario, and have been reading more about the battle on the internet. I did some research on this one last year when I wrote a Memoir 44 scenario on the battle. I have a new book and DVD combo called, "Great battles of WWII" that I got for Christmas. The Russian estimates are that there were about 1500 tanks on each side, but this book puts that as the total for both sides. Also, I have read that there weren't any KV-1 tanks in the battle, and the "official" scenario has KV-1's. Also, one online source said that there were only about a handful of Tiger tanks, but my book said that there were about 90 Tiger tanks in the battle and about 250 Panther tanks. This scenario, from the "Fury of the Bear" expansion, has no Panther tanks, although Panther miniatures came with the expansion. Do any of you have a good, trustworthy source on this battle? I like to make my scenario's historically accurate as possible. My Memoir scenario included one unit of Churchill tanks, because there were some with the Fifth Guards.

Here is a picture of the set up of the scenario:

IMG_2954.JPG
Prokhorovka Set Up

Here's where I am after four rounds:

IMG_2990.JPG
Carnage at Round 4

(Yeah, I played four rounds and went back up out of the "man cave" to spend time with the misses)
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Battle of Prokhorovka

Postby Whiterook » Wed May 04, 2016 10:51 pm

WOW.....that is a sweet layout!!!! I love ToI!
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Sat May 07, 2016 4:59 pm

Here is that same game I finished today, I think Round 5:

IMG_2994.JPG
Round 5

Next Round (I think):

IMG_2995.JPG
next round

And the end, where I did a combined attack on the Tiger (and destroyed it):

IMG_2997.JPG
Attack the Tiger
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Sat May 07, 2016 5:13 pm

The Tiger was over toward the right in that last photo, here I've cropped the photo and uploaded it again. And even though I cropped the photo, you still can barely make out the barrel of the gun and part of the turret on this photo (what gives? you can see it clearly in the photo?)

IMG_2996.JPG
Kill Tiger

So, do any of you have one of those great Ospery books on this battle? Could you give me some facts?

Return to “World War Era”