AP's PanzerGrenadier: Any good?

1905-1945 (WWI & WWII)

Moderator: Duncan

Duncan

AP's PanzerGrenadier: Any good?

Postby Duncan » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:38 pm

Yeah, yet another game I bought that I have no idea about. I picked up two boxes super cheap at a convention and then two expansions on sale. I have Eastern Front, Road to Berlin, Desert Rat, and Battle of the Bulge. The game has such a huge number of scenarios that I can't imagine any quality play testing went into them. Does anyone have an opinion on that?

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: AP's PanzerGrenadier: Any good?

Postby Whiterook » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:13 pm

I personally LOVE Panzergrenadier.

I find it to be a very playable system with tooth to it, and I like that it is so expansive (in modules and scenarios). The forum is nice and informative. I've always been surprised that it doesn't have a bigger following actually; though maybe it does and I'm just not invited :lol: :shock:

For me, it plays at a bigger scale than I generally gravitate too, but that doesn't detract from my wanting to play it. I'm not thrilled with the counters....those weird little 3-D-ish views of infantry are very un-pleasing to me (I was a bit bummed to see Flying Pig Games go with the same concept of Old School Tactical), and the tanks rather boring. That takes away some of the visual candy for me; but the Leaders are the best concept for artwork that I've seen.

I think the system itself is very approachable. The "Panzergrenadier in Five Minutes" is very easy to learn and start the system in, though in 5-minutes is a stretch! ....and the full blown rules are a tad complex, but compared to ASL, a piece of cake. I look at PG as a true wargame, for serious wargamers. I own the majority of the system, but finding an opponent hasn't been easy, so it's just been solitaire for me....but I've not played it in quite awhile.

Mike (Hagen) has played the system more than I have. I actually got him into the system, and the student surpassed the teacher :lol:

The VASSAL mod they put out recently just won't work for me...as much as I try, and just can't get the damned thing to work (it's the same thing for Academy Games' Conquest of Heroes mod).
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:14 pm

On a side-note....it's interesting you posted this thread. I just pulled the rulebook out this past weekend with the intent of putting the system back up at bat. If I can get the damned VASSAL mod to work, maybe we can get some games going here.

Duncan

Postby Duncan » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:10 pm

On a side-note....it's interesting you posted this thread. I just pulled the rulebook out this past weekend with the intent of putting the system back up at bat. If I can get the damned VASSAL mod to work, maybe we can get some games going here.
Can you link to the module? I don't see it on the Vassal site.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:13 am

Duncan wrote:
Can you link to the module? I don't see it on the Vassal site.

I'll find the link for you....it wasn't on the VASSAL mods listing...I believe I found it on the PG site, listed as a demo module. If memory serves, it had a pretty fair bit of depth to it for a demo, and not like LNL's old Band of Heroes that was just enough for one scenario....I think this one gave enough pieces to play some substantial stuff. It's been awhile, though.

I'll look later tonight and post it in this forum board.

Duncan

Postby Duncan » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:19 pm

I found the demo module. Not interested in that I'm afraid. I do have a regular opponent who would like to play face to face though. All is good. I am considering working some of the scenarios into Tigers on the Hunt.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:31 pm

I remember talking to the Avalanche Press folks at origins a few years ago and trying to get them to understand that putting some of their games on VASSAL can only help theor sales in the long run. I suppose the demo is a small win.

But I agree with you....I'll stick to the actual hard copy of the game, myself.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:17 am

You know...thinking on this a little (after a quick re-look at this thread), I realized I neve spoke to the actual question :lol: ...with the shear number of modules, are the scenarios any good? Personally, I think they are very good. In fact, I think they may have a little more oomph placed in them, as opposed to other modern competitors of a similar level of style and simplicity. The ones I've played were very good indeed....but I understand the reluctance you speak of, given the shear number of modules. I do think however, that Avalanche Press employs extremely capable and talented scenario designers. I also think their editing is superior, compared to a few other modern competitors!

It also occurs to me that if the counter art were different, for me, it would elevate the game into a much higher level personally. The artwork just never did anything at all for me. I'm not sure I can even put my finger on why, but if I had to try, I don't like the small Birdseye view of the figures represented on those counters; they look puny and odd to me. I get the artistic concept! ...I just don't like it.....

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (23.6 KiB) Viewed 272 times

image.png
image.png (32.12 KiB) Viewed 272 times

....frankly, it just bores me to tears :shock:

Now compare this to Lock 'N Load.....

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (64.06 KiB) Viewed 272 times

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (55.49 KiB) Viewed 272 times

....the artwork on the soldiers themselves is subpar, but, the overall graphics are gorgeous to me. Much more exciting and dynamic in it's portrayal of what the forces look like, rather than an oversimplification of unit numbers; and also, LNLP utilizes better fill on background. They are just superior to me.

Return to “World War Era”