Old School Tactical Due Soon!!!!

1905-1945 (WWI & WWII)

Moderator: Duncan

Duncan

Re: Old School Tactical Due Soon!!!!

Postby Duncan » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:07 pm

Scott (josta59) and Luca (Lucky Luke) were diddling around with Firepower awhile back...Luca seems quite adept at playing it. I bought it, looked at the rules and went 'Meh'....never went any further with it. Whereas the Lock 'N Load 'Nam game looks like it's bases on the LNL system rules (like Band of Heroes) so, that may be the way to get me into Vietnam :D
I played Fire Power a lot in university, when it first came out I think. It was ok for some things but I really got annoyed with the scenario specific terrain rules and the vehicle rules. It works well enough for Vietnam firefights.

Lucky Luke

Postby Lucky Luke » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:07 am

Firepower has some "square wheels" as the rules concerning vehicles (the game scale is too small!) , morale and a lot of the optional rules...first of all the sighting rules

But, as I found in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_wheel that a square wheel can do a good job if the speed is up: I mean that FP has a good "internal consistency" and the clunky sounds are somewhat muffled by the simulation of the physical actions.

I'm well aware that I'm a role-wargamer and I love tactical games, so my judgement could be quite warped... :mrgreen:

About LnL I played the Vietnam module and, barring the strange feeling to see a 'lookalike' of Squad Leader (but with a different meaning of the numbers on the counters...) I was surprised to see a 'hero' toting a M79 Blooper broking down a fortified hex full of squad and kill'em all in close combat,..really it isn't Squad Leader, after all...

I didn't get a negative feeling, strange but not negative....
V6!

Luca

"I'd rather be lucky than good any day."

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:20 pm

Lucky Luke wrote:Firepower has some "square wheels" as the rules concerning vehicles (the game scale is too small!) , morale and a lot of the optional rules...first of all the sighting rules

But, as I found in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_wheel that a square wheel can do a good job if the speed is up: I mean that FP has a good "internal consistency" and the clunky sounds are somewhat muffled by the simulation of the physical actions.

I'm well aware that I'm a role-wargamer and I love tactical games, so my judgement could be quite warped... :mrgreen:

About LnL I played the Vietnam module and, barring the strange feeling to see a 'lookalike' of Squad Leader (but with a different meaning of the numbers on the counters...) I was surprised to see a 'hero' toting a M79 Blooper broking down a fortified hex full of squad and kill'em all in close combat,..really it isn't Squad Leader, after all...

I think this is my favorite post of 2016!! :D
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Lucky Luke

Postby Lucky Luke » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:54 am

Whiterook wrote:
Lucky Luke wrote:Firepower has some "square wheels" as the rules concerning vehicles (the game scale is too small!) , morale and a lot of the optional rules...first of all the sighting rules

I know, I know....you are SO partial to square wheels.... 8-)
V6!

Luca

"I'd rather be lucky than good any day."

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:29 pm

Lucky Luke wrote:
Whiterook wrote:

I know, I know....you are SO partial to square wheels.... 8-)

I'm a Rebel...what can I say :twisted:

newtrend

Postby newtrend » Sun May 08, 2016 1:19 pm

I have the complete PnP version of the game. I tried, and that's it... Interesting, nothing innovative however. The design is not my cup of tee either. In short, buy a Lock and Load module instead. '65 is looks much more interesting, but this card based system is not convinced me in Combat Commander either. If i want to play a CDG, i'll play Paths of Glory or Hannibal vs Rome (if i find someone to play with ) The War after Armageddon is a lot more interesting project to me. Looks like a further developed World at War system. If they put out some more info i might consider backing that up on KS.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:47 am

newtrend wrote:I have the complete PnP version of the game. I tried, and that's it... Interesting, nothing innovative however. The design is not my cup of tee either. In short, buy a Lock and Load module instead. '65 is looks much more interesting, but this card based system is not convinced me in Combat Commander either....

Thanks for the advance-recon on that! :D ....Right when OST appeared on KickStarter, I knew it was a major departure from Mark's previous titles. I am hoping that it will be a bit of fresh air in another direction of Wargaming....oddly, being a Picese, and not generally liking change; I do like new challenges and new experiences, so that's how I personally am trying to approach Mark's new projects.

On the other hand, I am not generally a big Card Driven fan; and in fact, was very recent to the whole "Chit Pull" mechanic....so change does not come easy for me. But, we musty grow and change. I'll see how much of that I can tolerate without it becoming a shelf dust conductor :lol:

Duncan

Postby Duncan » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:26 pm

It's back on Kick Starter for reprint if anyone wants to get in on it.

josta59

Postby josta59 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:39 pm

Sorry, I just now got around to reading through this thread and saw my name. Wanted to say to those who had negative experiences with Firepower (hopefully not as negative as the experiences Luca gave me! :lol: :oops:) or didn't care to try it, I made an updated version of the rules this year that fits on two pages and can be used with minis on any table. The game's mechanism is unlike any other rules I've seen and works fairly well, so I thought it would be interesting to resurrect it this way.

I playtested this version a good bit. Next time I have a hankering for a close-quarters skirmish, I'll probably use this because it's so short and works well.

My rules are attached here. Let me know if you find this interesting and/or have additional ideas.

Firepower_basic rules for miniatures.docx
(34.17 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:48 pm

I'll check it out, now that I'm basically sick. And the moving is done. I'll have more time on my hands for a while (until Christmas week).
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Return to “World War Era”