Old School Tactical

1905-1945 (WWI & WWII)

Moderator: Duncan

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Old School Tactical

Postby Whiterook » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:33 am

Fast and furious battles for 2 players. Tanks, planes, artillery, machine guns, and the soldiers to man them. All in 16 pages of rules. Look at this gorgeous map....

image.jpg
Courtesy of Flying Pig Games

As of this posting, there arre 14-days to go to pledge on this game at KickStarter...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1408460255/old-school-tactical
My recommendation is, do whatever you have to do to get in on this!

By the newly formed Flying Pigs Games

The following in italics, are from Mark's Kickstarter page for the game:

The FPG Story

In November of 2014 Mark H. Walker left Lock 'N Load and founded Flying Pig Games. 'A game company', he said, 'dedicated to fun. A game company about the games that I like to play, and hope you do too. Tactical war games are one of my passions. So, when Shayne Logan contacted me about Old School Tactical (OST), I was pretty, dang jazzed. Here was a tactical game that had the beautiful art needed to immerse you in the battle, the simple, yet unique, rules to make it accessible, and the scale that I loved. I couldn't sign him up quickly enough. So here we are, three months later with the Kickstarter for Old School Tactical.

Is Old School Tactical just another squad-level game? I don't think so, the huge, beautifully-detailed maps (30" x 41"), the impulse system, which makes gamers decide which units to activate because he (or she) can rarely activate them all, and the simple--attack factor minus defense factor equals firepower-- combat, give OST a unique flavor. Read on. Ask us questions. Learn about the game, I hope it is something you choose to back.

image.jpg

Old School Tactical (OST) -Fighting on the Eastern Front 1941/42

OST is the first in a dynamic series of fresh, tactical wargames. OST simulates, through an easily-learned game system, small unit engagements on the Eastern Front during 1941-42.

Two players contest each scenario using counters representing the soldiers, guns, and vehicles that fought these desperate battles. On each turn play goes back and forth between the sides as Impulse Points are spent to enable a player's forces to act. When the battle is over, casualty and victory points are tallied and a victor is declared.

image.jpg
image.jpg (38.17 KiB) Viewed 953 times

The OST System

But we said, "system," didn't we? And a system it is. EasternFront 1941-42 is just the first game using Shayne Logan's Old School Tactical (OST). All of the modules, however, will use the same set of core rules.

Infantry target other soft units and attack using their Firepower value against the target’s Defense value. The attack can be modified by Leadership, support weapons and terrain effects.And when things get intense, Assault Moves into enemy hexes result in deadly Close Combat. Dice rolls are made using the Infantry Combat Table and results are implemented.

image.jpg

Attacking armored vehicles requires a roll to Hit the vehicle at range. If a Hit is scored, the Firepower value of the attacker’s gun is used against the target’s front or flank Defense value. Dice rolls are made using the Vehicle Combat Table and results are executed. Vehicles may also use their HE Firepower value and secondary armaments directly against soft targets using the Infantry Combat Table.

The Eastern Front is only the beginning. We hope you help us get started.

image.jpg

What Comes in the Base Game?

• 2 sheets of 3/4” unit, weapon, and condition counters
  • 1 sheet of 7/8” vehicle counters.
  • 2, large 30" x 41" mounted game maps, hexes are 1".
  • 18 Luck cards, such as Shell Shocked, Evasive Manuevers, Field Repair, and Tank Hunters.
  • 36 Unit data cards.
  • 24 scenarios.
  • 16 page color rule book.
  • 4 dice.
  • box.

So How Does it Play?

Here's a video from Shayne Logan (the designer), describing how to play Old School Tactical. Scenario play time varies from 1-3 hours. The scale is squad-level, hexes represent approximately 50 meters....

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Old School Tactical

Postby Whiterook » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:57 am

Stretch Goals

What's A Kickstarter without stretch goals, right? In this case, one stretch goal. We are going to try something a bit different this time. We will kick off (get it?) the stretch goal stuff with one of our own, and it's a good one. Then we'll keep our ear to the ground and let YOU tell us what you want for the other goals. Fair enough?

Stretch Goal #1: Stalingrad! $20K FUNDED!

image.jpg
Image Courtesy of Osprey Publishing

The most famous battle of the Eastern Front. $20,000 will unlock the Stalingrad stretch goal. The goal includes a completely historical MOUNTED, 30" x 41" game map depicting a section of Stalingrad centered on the Red Square, a full-color scenario booklet with six scenarios, and a sheet of counters, including vehicles not included in the base game, and Soviet Guards.

image.jpg
A portion of the Stalingrad game map.

Stretch Goal #2: Diefalle 25K FUNDED![/color]

image.jpg

Three days, seven battles, one winner. A Kickstarter exclusive linked campaign. Players fight three battles per day, on three different sections of the map, choosing in secret where to commit small, medium, and large numbers of their forces. At the end of the day, the counters remain in place, and the players once again choose their commitments for the second day. Again, the results of the battles are permanent, the counters remaining in the positions they held at the end of the day. On the third and final day, there is the ultimate struggle for the ENTIRE map. Kickstarter exclusive, includes scenario booklet and OOB card.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:50 pm

Initial Observations - Whiterook:

I've read the FPG sites' game info, and a very quick scan of the rules, hence 'initial' observations. And from just that short perusal, I am going to walk the plank and make a prediction: You are looking at the next GREAT WWII board & chit game system.

When I first saw the game, three things popped into my mind: I see a little bit of Panzer Grenadier (that was the immediate impression, and made it an instant 'I gotta check this out!' moment; I saw a bit of Advanced Squad Leader (more the starter kit version, with a kinder, gentler ASL); an I saw a little Lock 'N Load/Nations at War (whick to me is accessible, modern WWII wargaming at its best. so, the hook was firmly set!

Of course, for me, we're talking Mark H. Walker. That alone is enough for me. You know how their are certain actors, whom anything they star in, you are going to watch? That's what happens to me for the games Mark offers or supports. If you are wondering on that devotion...well... I met Mark for the first time at Origins 2007 or so, and I immediately saw a kindred spirit, way beyond wargaming. The dude could be a brother from a different mother for me. My respect for the guy goes way beyond what he produces for wargames. When he founded Flying Pig Games, the smile on my face must have been enormous!

So I had to see if this was for real. I see a lot of common mechanics from many systems, and they are woven in a rather unique and thrilling tapestry. As with any wargame, there are a few elements that I am sure I will scratch my head at in the beginning; and I am sure there will be refinements, as this is a brand new system....but what I see, I love. That's why I went out of my way to scratch up enough money to get the base game and stretch goals at the very least, on Kickstarter.

A couple of the things that really popped out for mee on the quick scan of the rules were:

Limiting Actions - You can do stuff but within limits. This represents a 'controled play that liits your options' and brings in a little more realism than the average wargame

Bogged Down - This is an element largely covered in miniatures gaming, but more rare on board & chit wwargames. I am EXTREMELY excited to see this mechanic in the game! :D

That's just a snippit!

Next, I am planning on reading the rules indepth, and I will post as I go on the mechanics. I hope you follow along.

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:16 am

Love the detail on the Stalingrad map. Looks like a good game. Would love to have the Stalingrad expansion for Tide of Iron. Looks great, but not sure how many scenarios this expansion might generate. I am looking forward to the re-issue of Days of the Fox. I think A1 games is doing a great job with Tide of Iron. They say they are also working on a Pacific expansion. With Memoir, the Pacific Theater was my very first expansion. My friend bought Memoir at the same time that I bought the PT. Most of the first scenarios I ever wrote were for the PT.
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:24 am

The artwork on the OST maps is stunning, IMHO....some of the best I've ever seen, in fact. The Winter map is gorgeous....holds true to conventions (in design terms) of old, yet totally a modern creation.

Band of Heroes (Lock 'N Load Publishing) had what I considered some of the best mapboard design ever, but the hexes were a tad thick in their boarder line pt., and the halo's on the original map were a bit tough on the eyes after a few hours of gaming.....

Now look at the Stalingrad map.....the hex faces have a nominal pt. that almost disappears into the background, yet are totally sharp when you need to know where you're facing! PERFECT! And then you look at the dark hues, and the bombed out building and you start to think you're looking at artwork, rather than a mapboard.

Yeah...it's obvious I'm falling in love with this game :lol: ...and I haven't even playe it yet!!! That makes it love at first sight! I shudder to think what what I'll be like when I crack the box open for the first time and smell the fresh ink. My wife will think I'm cheating on her!!!!! :shock:

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:56 am

Now I'm assuming the Center Dot still determines the terrain of the hex, for instance G5 and G6 below.....

image.jpg

...would indicate any unit within being in a Road Hex? My interpretation would be the building in G6 is just 'overhang', and any unit in that hex would be besides that building, in the road. I'll figure that out as I read the rules, of course, but that makes the most sense to my guestimate at this point.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:11 pm

On the Winter map....

image.jpg

...look at hex O16. Breaking down the artwork on that, look at the bridge struts. To an Artists eye, that's perfect rendering to suggest in a minimalist fashion that those are nothing other than bridge struts; yet to the Wargamer eye, it's just enough to kow you are crossing a metal bridge. What the later does for meis, as I have a until on their taking fire, with a MISS result, my mind can fully engage in the fact that bullets were pinging off metal struts and my guys had a near fatal encounter! That's what brings a game ALIVE for me! :D It's not just the rolling of dice and the result of what to do with a small cardboard counter....I have troops on that bridge and I am responsible for ordering them there! I want to know what they are experienceing. I am living that moment on the bridge with them!

That's the importance of artwork on a wargame map. You just don't get those same feelings and *experiences* on a map roughly drawn in pen line or crayons!!!!

The fact that a game company goes to this kind of time and effort to get it right gains instant respect in my eyes. Especially for theor first WWII game of the new company. Give props where props are due, I say :)

Return to “World War Era”