What miniatures wargame are you playing right now?

General Miniature Wargaming Talk

Moderator: Frank

Double Deuce
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: What miniatures wargame are you playing right now?

Postby Double Deuce » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:25 pm

Never played with my own mini's except for a short stint back in the early 80's when I had some GHQ modern stuff. Really wanting to get back into it but to this day I still can't decide on what scale to go with. I'm thinking either 10mm or 15mm, leaning toward 15mm.

Gunny0231
Private First Class
Private First Class

Postby Gunny0231 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:32 pm

I suggest 15mm because there is such a wide selection out there
On average it took five Panthers to take out a Sherman. Four would be in a ditch out of fuel or broken down, the fifth one just blows away the Sherman before catching fire by itself.

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:21 pm

Double Deuce wrote:Never played with my own mini's except for a short stint back in the early 80's when I had some GHQ modern stuff. Really wanting to get back into it but to this day I still can't decide on what scale to go with. I'm thinking either 10mm or 15mm, leaning toward 15mm.

As Gunny0231 has indicated, 15mm is a great scale for most miniatures. It really should be determined what time and what period you intend to play.

for WWII 15mm probably has the best selection several companies have extensive catalogues of even some of the rarest WWII miniatures. 1/285th is a close contender for variety... Litko Aerosystems has produced scaled templates for using GHQ style miniatures in games such as FoW.

For Ancients through the ACW period 15mm is still a mainstay Plenty of DBA/DBM/FoG players will use this scale.... due in part to DBA, nearly every conceivable army within this period can be assewmbled....

28mm is really great for skirmish battles, it's the scale we use for Infinity, though many other popular games use this scale as well.......
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:50 pm

Gunny0231 wrote:I can send a set if you like: 15.00 incl postage.

Would that be the same price to the UK?
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Gunny0231
Private First Class
Private First Class

Postby Gunny0231 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:04 pm

Sure! I would love having copies over there!
On average it took five Panthers to take out a Sherman. Four would be in a ditch out of fuel or broken down, the fifth one just blows away the Sherman before catching fire by itself.

Return to “Miniature Wargaming Discussions”