Finally becoming a real miniatures wargamer ('bout time, right?)

General Miniature Wargaming Talk

Moderator: Frank

josta59

Re: Finally becoming a real miniatures wargamer ('bout time, right?)

Postby josta59 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:27 pm

Been doing loads of research, but I don't find many people selling N-scale/10mm buildings that are ready for play. People who make that stuff tend to hang onto it, apparently.

I also don't find many people doing 10mm wargaming in interior settings, aside from dungeon crawls. The thought of being able to move my figures through buildings and ascertain line of sight, eschewing abstract building rules, is kind of thrilling to me.

Today's thought is to buy some N-scale model building sets (lots of sellers out there) and assemble them without gluing the roofs on. That's assuming the roofs are separate, which is hard to tell from distributors' websites, but YouTube videos from Woodland Scenics clearly show that this can be done. If they don't have interior walls, I can try and construct some out of cardboard so my guys can move from room to room.

That's right. I might actually make something.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

josta59

Postby josta59 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:52 am

New thought this morning: Instead of model buildings, buy prefurbished buildings without floors. Draw the building outline on the game mat. Build interior cardboard walls inside the outline and place the building over them. When figures enter the building, remove the building and just use the interior walls.

Boom! I've never seen anyone do this, but it's so simple. Not very modular, since I'll have to do it over again with each new game, but it could be worth it. Also can only be done for ground-level floors...but maybe upper floors could be built separately, off-table.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

josta59

Postby josta59 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:57 am

Actually, it could be modular if I build the interior walls as one piece that would be permanent for each building. I can find a way to temporarily attach the walls to the game mat so they can be used over and over. Rather than affixing a building to the mat, I'll just set it over the pinned walls so it stays in place.

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:28 pm

There are lots of great 15mm buildings out there

http://www.sarissa-precision.com

and

http://www.4ground.co.uk
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

josta59

Postby josta59 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:37 pm

Thanks. I found some 15mm houses I really loved, with removable roofs for easy interior play. I was pretty excited.

But then I went to the model railroad store and learned more about scale. I realized then that it'll be way easier to get cheap buildings for 10mm figures. So I decided to go that route instead. I think I'll save a lot of money that way.

josta59

Postby josta59 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:43 am

This week, if I'm not working, I'm probably drooling over pictures of model railroad layouts. I don't even care about the railroad tracks. But I see a picture like this and I just see squads of 10-mm tall guys ducking behind walls and advancing while technicals approach from one end and troop carriers with reinforcements from the other. If only I could just buy these tables somehow!

3d-N.jpg

37-N-scale-modular-layout.jpg
37-N-scale-modular-layout.jpg (19.04 KiB) Viewed 300 times

katomodularlayout.jpg

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:20 am

Some of the rail layouts are real works of art.

Are you planning on a permanent layout or a modular one you can change round a bit?
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

josta59

Postby josta59 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:21 am

Definitely modular. Some of you guys might have noticed that I jump around between types of games a lot. I don't think I've ever finished a campaign that I started.

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:19 pm

Another purveyor of 10mm buildings: http://gcmini.mybigcommerce.com/10mm/
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

josta59

Postby josta59 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:24 am

Progress! We have a really cool hobby shop in our town, but I never noticed it has a whole aisle of model train stuff because I never cared. Until now! I bought this tiny house, fully painted and assembled and ready to go! And I bought locally and didn't need to pay shipping. I consider this a success.

house.jpg
I just love the little aerial!

It even has its own lawn, which is close to the same shade as the grass mat I bought a few weeks ago. It's beyond what I thought I could find. I didn't even know Plasticville USA exists, despite all my research. They're definitely on my radar now.

And now I have a much better feel for what N scale (10mm) is like. And I realize for sure now that trying to play in interior settings would be really difficult at this scale. Even if I find the smallest object possible to mount my figures on (I'm thinking maybe doll buttons?), they probably wouldn't fit in the tiny rooms very well. It would really only work in very large rooms.

Look at me, talking about tiny rooms and doll buttons! This is so weird! :lol:

Items purchased so far
1 grass mat: $8.50 + tax
1 ready-made house: $17 + tax

I don't think anyone on this site does 10mm much, but have any of you used products from Plasticville USA for gaming?

Return to “Miniature Wargaming Discussions”