Finally becoming a real miniatures wargamer ('bout time, right?)

General Miniature Wargaming Talk

Moderator: Frank

josta59

Finally becoming a real miniatures wargamer ('bout time, right?)

Postby josta59 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:10 pm

Here's a shocker: I finally decided to put some actual, physical miniature wargaming components on my Elfster.com wishlist! People never know what to buy me for Christmas, birthday, etc. So I'm making it easier for them.

After much searching around, I finally landed on Peter Pig's 15mm moderns. I like the size for its pricing and its individual basing and for leaving lots of room to play. And Peter Pig has so much available that it was a no-brainer. I also like that if people want to buy me some vehicles, trees, or whatever for my table, I can just tell them to make it around 1:100, which is easy to remember.

I found some cool houses at Sally 4th, and I like WarZone Studio's battle mats on Etsy.

If I paint my guys at all, it'll probably just be green with whatever I can get dirt cheap. I'm more concerned with making the bases distinguishable so I can tell who's who really easily.

Commence the "'bout time"s.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Finally becoming a real miniatures wargamer ('bout time, right?)

Postby Frizzenspark » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:45 pm

Painting really isn't so difficult..... so don't give up on it yet,

Worth considering, a good hobby knife, and some files (the little hobby files NAPA sometimes has them in the bargain bin) you'll want to clean up molding lines and other imperfections. the bootoms of the bases can be wobbly, filing can smooth them out.

After this abuse I usually wash my minis in some soapy water, rinse, and let 'em dry this removes oils, dirt, and whatever...

Usually small minis need a base.... you can't buy a penny for a penny, so why not just use a penny; a touch of super glue should do for each.

A cheap easy plan is to have both a "green" and a "tan" army. Walmart sells Camo paint cheap enough. buy two contrasting colours. you're set!!!

What I do is buy the "99 cent" flat black paint (flat black for modern/flat white for colourful minis as a base coat. I then use craft paints... Anita's from Hobby Lobby are good and cheap. a flesh colour and some camo colours should suffice.... some good brushes and you're in business.
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

josta59

Postby josta59 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:05 pm

Thanks, Frizz! Was planning on pennies, but this is all helpful.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:02 pm

josta59 wrote:Thanks, Frizz! Was planning on pennies, but this is all helpful.

It's a balance... don't kill yourself, but don't sell yourself short.

Assembly line techniques work well; paint one colour on a select number of soldiers

black for boots, possibly guns, radios, etc.... boom, let 'em dry get another colour... paint the same things of that colour down the line, rinse, lather, repeat.

sometimes they'll dry as you go down the line, no need to pause.

if you have real tiny minis 15mm and smaller, you can use Elmer's or any other PVA glue to glue your minis on the head of a nail to give you a great way to handle your troops... I'd stick the nail in the corrugation of a cardboard box between steps to let them dry..... my daughter gets the large boxes of microwave popcorn... those have worked well for me.
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:09 am

Yeah, you've got more time/money/patience than I do. I recently painted these armored cars and tankettes for Memoir 44, which as you know is a board game. But they've started selling stuff cast in off-white, which I hate. So, here are my two examples of paint jobs. And for me, it don't have to look just like the real thing... Hey, it's a board game!
First the Japanese units;

Japanese Tankettes and Armored Cars.JPG
Japanese Units

These are from the Khakhin-Gol Battle map. And the Soviet units;

Soviet Tankettes and Armored Cars.JPG
Soviet units

Like I said, don't have to be perfect, just have to know one side from the other!
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

josta59

Postby josta59 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:29 am

50th, that sounds much more my style! LOL. I barely have time to play the games, and I'm not interested in showing off my lack of painting skills! :lol:

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:34 pm

It is surprising how little actual painting you can get away with :D . Army Painter do spray cans in various colours, a dab of a flesh colour, a bit of black for weapons and then a wash to add some shade. Again Army Painter do a good one or some of the guys onhere use a tinted floor varnish, though I can`t think what it was called.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

josta59

Postby josta59 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:45 pm

I'd never heard of The Army Painter. And looking into it led me to a miniatures gaming store not far from my home that I never knew about. And it stays open late! Thanks, Frank!

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:05 am

No worries mate, always happy to lead you down the slippery sl..........er, I mean, happy to help :evil:
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

josta59

Postby josta59 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:20 pm

One thing pushing me to make this change is that when I've had a long, crappy day of staring at a screen, like today and the last few days, it kind of sucks that my favorite hobby involves more staring at the same screen in the same chair in the same room. The idea of a screenless war room two floors down is really appealing right now.

Return to “Miniature Wargaming Discussions”