Gaming disasters

General Miniature Wargaming Talk

Moderator: Frank

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Gaming disasters

Postby Frank » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:12 pm

We`ve all had them, that night when absolutely everything that could go wrong, did :cry: .

My worst (there have been many :roll: ) was a 30 second, yes, that`s right, 30 second game of Blitz Krieg Commander. It was my intro game to the system. In case anyone has not played it before it works by HQ stands giving orders to surrounding troops by passing a leadership check, if the check is passed you can try to give more orders with a -1 to leadership for each successive order. Your CO stand gives orders last as when he has finished your turn is over.

I had a HQ unit off table leading a flank march, on table I had an artillery spotter and my CO and an assortment of troops.

The game starts and I fail to make my 2d6 roll of 9 or under so my flanker does not come on. My spotter does not make his 8 or under roll so fails to spot. Never mind, my CO can rescue the situation, 10 or under, no problem, double 6, a blunder. I roll on the blunder chart and get the "hq moves 24" away from the nearest enemy" result. Straight off the table!

I could have promoted my flanking hq to CO if he had come on, but he didn`t. A spotter can not be a CO, so, with no viable Co on the table I could not continue.

By my reckoning 30 seconds, and about half of that was looking for the blunder chart on the summary sheet, and re-reading the blunder chart twice to check that I had actually lost after 4 dice rolls without moving a single mini.

So, that`s my disaster, what about you guys?
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

josta59

Re: Gaming disasters

Postby josta59 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:26 pm

That's hilarious. Thanks for sharing.

Both times I tried to play Firepower against Luca were pretty much complete disasters. That game is so hard. Especially against him.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Lucky Luke

Postby Lucky Luke » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:50 am

My most hilarious defeats were playing air games (my favorite!!):
Vietnam mission, I have to bring down a bridge with "dumb" bombs in a AAA-filled landscape...Antonio (my friend playing with us at Circus Maximus) was flying a Wild Weasel section of two F-100 and he was breaking down the SAM network while I was going high to avoid the worst of the AAA, when...a critical hit on the ECM pod he was carrying left him in the middle of a very pissed AAA with a crippled aircraft and another in dire straits.
In the meantime I had to speed up to stay out of missile range of some Migs...to be short I found my two F-4 at high altitude diving to have a fair chance to hit the target when the SAM batteries returned operative...I raced with my bombs,a s****load of SA-2 missiles and come up second with my bombs last. Maybe the blast from my Phantom giving up the ghost :mrgreen: spooked the iron bombs because they missed. All.
V6!

Luca

"I'd rather be lucky than good any day."

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:16 am

josta59 wrote:That's hilarious. .

Weird, everyone at our club thought it was pretty funny as well, can`t think why :?

It was a bit like a double Mexican wave, first a ripple of stunned silence ran round the room, then a ripple of everyone nearly pee`ing themselves laughing. :cry:
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:14 pm

One of my early game conventions, I was signed up for a four hour session of Battletech. They were playing by some funny house rules, I moved my mech up on a hill to get a better shot at the closest mech. The closest mech got to fire first, and he took an aimed shot at my mechs head. It was going to be a hard shot with all the modifiers, but darn it if he didn't roll it! My mechs head was now looking like Swiss cheese and I was out of the game!
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:42 pm

Thanks for sharing the pain guys :lol: , I know it`s not just me who has these disasters, it just seems like it at times.
Gandalf the Grey

Lucky Luke

Postby Lucky Luke » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:25 am

Pain? Naaa, sometimes I was the STAR of a tense game of Starfleet Battles: my destroyer and a battleship with a friend of mine as her commander were the only Federation ships able to repeal a coward raid by two D-7 Klingon battlecruisers.
I was the "experten" of the game (played a couple of times!) and I found a firing arc less covered by the Kilingon's weapon systems...
Off we go! The tactics was successful and the D-7s took quite a beating from our phaser and torpedo when....
...my friend, wishing to go closer to the enemy made a mistake doing a "full ahead flank" using all the energy to move and energize the shields...the huge engine of the battleship propelled her to the other end of the playing field leaving my destroyer (who moved a little as planned) right in front of two Klingons grinning.
Why I said before I was the STAR of the game? Because the destroyer class was changed to "Nova" class.... :mrgreen:
V6!

Luca

"I'd rather be lucky than good any day."

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:32 pm

I was in a game-night group of 6, and we were playing Conquest of the Empire...yeah, it's *kinda* a miniatures game! Anyway, I loaded up on a fleet and set sail a massive force, only to fight miserably with bad roll after bad roll. I found myself out of the game within the first half hour, only to find myself a spectator on the side for the rest of the night (several hours).

It wasn't even a matter of folks ganging up on me...I just couldn't roll to save my life that night and the boys heckled me right up to the moment they left for the night. I've had some games with bad rolls, but this was literally rediculous.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:09 pm

Last night I ran a mate through an introductory game of Mordheim, the old GW fantasy skirmish game. It features a campaign system that really makes you choose between short term advantage by winning a game and long term advantage by keeping your warband alive. Anybody taken "out of action" during the game tests to see if they survive in the long term. Henchmen survive on a 3+ on a d6 but heroes roll on a d66 table with 11 to 15 being dead and 41 to 45 being completely unscathed, with various other penalties like losing an arm or leg. My leader died and rolled on the table, 31, loses an eye so he has -1 ballistic skill, not too bad. We did the experience and having a fair bit of time set up for another game. My leader died, again :roll: , and rolled on the d66 chart after the game.first dice.....3, starting to get worried, second dice.....1 :o :shock: :cry: . I now had a completely blind leader.

A d66 gives you 36 possible results, what are the chances of rolling the exact same number twice in a row.

Good job they were just two starter bands that I put together for the demo as my only sensible option after that was to just retire the warband.
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:01 pm

Haha......retired warband! That's classic!

You know, it's the games like those that we remember best, and usually with the most fondness, oddly enough!
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Return to “Miniature Wargaming Discussions”