Finally becoming a real miniatures wargamer ('bout time, right?)

General Miniature Wargaming Talk

Moderator: Frank

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Finally becoming a real miniatures wargamer ('bout time, right?)

Postby Frank » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:52 am

I can see that it would be a real change for you. At times just sitting and doing a bit of painting is almost Zen like, and remember, as 50th said, they don`t have to be perfect. What might seem a bit crude when you are holding it close to your eye looking for imperfections probably looks good on a table at a couple of feet away, and the advances in things like washes really do take a lot of the work out of things.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

josta59

Postby josta59 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:05 pm

Maybe...but I'd much rather buy them already painted and just get to the gaming. :)

That said...holy cow, I'm actually going to a gaming store and a hobby store tomorrow! Just going to see what's available nearby and do some thinking. I doubt I'll see any modern military minis in 15mm, so I don't expect to buy anything. I'll definitely post it if I do.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:50 am

You might have a bit of a surprise there, Battlefront, the company who do Flames Of War, also do a Cold War game called Team Yankee.

http://www.flamesofwar.com/online_store ... ryID=13623

If you want to go down the ready painted route then you have X Wing, a Star Wars game.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/p ... ts-section
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:40 pm

I don't know if you can still find them, but I bought a supply of already painted 1:144 miniature tanks from Walmart. I know they got rid of them from their stores, I bought some of the last of them from our local store for a dollar and change. Here is a picture of what I am talking about:

Quick War Axis rear.JPG
Axis Armor

Quick War Allies Infantry.JPG
Allied Armor

(the infantry I bought from a local hobby store and mounted on 1x1 cut up phone cards and painted one color.
I came up with my own set of rules for my finds and I still play it from time to time.
Quick War.docx
Quick War Rules
(21.04 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

josta59

Postby josta59 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:52 pm

Nice, thanks. I know about Quick War. ;)

My trip today was interesting. This gaming shop is far larger than I expected. But despite it being called The Soldiery, I found almost no soldiers at all. Seriously. One box of WWII Soviet soldiers for Bolt Action was all I found, even with the owner's help. Couldn't believe it. They couldn't even get me a bag of mini D20s that I want to mark friction points.

But then I went to a railroad hobby shop and learned a lot. Now I know the difference between HO and N scale. I now know that 15mm is an awkward size for finding lots of cheap scenery that looks right, while 10mm is perfect for N scale. So I'm switching to 10mm, but I'm gonna keep them single-based. And then I'm gonna buy a mess of N scale buildings to go on the grass mat I bought there.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

josta59

Postby josta59 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:27 pm

Purchases thus far:

1 grass mat, 34"x50", $8.50 + tax

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:14 am

Do your best to enjoy.... My Wife has become an avid Boagamer..... Do you wanna do housework.... or play a game.....?!?!?

Best suggestion is to try to paint one level above your expectations...
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

josta59

Postby josta59 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:19 pm

I've spent more time in the last 24 hours looking for model train scenery than for figures! Didn't see that coming! LOL

I'm dreaming of a diorama of a crowded town in a third world country. Like we see in the first-person shooter video games in the last several years. That would be so fun to play with.

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:04 pm

josta59 wrote:I've spent more time in the last 24 hours looking for model train scenery than for figures! Didn't see that coming! LOL

I get in trouble at Jo Anne's Fabrics, Pat Catan's, Michael's.....etc. The Soldiery used to be very Historical miniatures centered... not so much today... it is the best spot to randomly find vintage games, and off the wall items.

The Guardtower has a better selection in general, but they rotate their stock...so older merchandise is trickier to find... They did have "Team Yankee" British Troops at bargain prices... (in their bargain bin)..almost pulled the trigger, but I have enough on my plate.

Train shops are brilliant at terrain....foam cutters (for making hills, etc).. scenery.... buildings.... many great ideas can be found here...
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:16 pm

My wife has become a boardgamer and she even plays them on her phone, which annoys me sometimes. She plays Ticket to Ride, Settlers of Catan, and some game with fish on her phone. I play a game of Settlers of Catan on my phone, usually after my wife is asleep, before I fall asleep.
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Return to “Miniature Wargaming Discussions”