A&A Minis Status?

Discussion subforum for A&AM, and Conversions to Other Systems

Moderator: Frank

Hagen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

A&A Minis Status?

Postby Hagen » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:06 pm

Anything going on with these, land or naval? I don't seem to be able to find much.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: A&A minis

Postby Whiterook » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:11 pm

Good question! My personal opinion is Wizards of the Coast left this series out on the vine to dry and die a slow and horrible death! IMHO, of course. :ugeek:

I stopped buying the full sets (cases) after the Early War 1939-1941 set of 50 miniatures released in December 2009. It featured units from 13 different nations, the most ever in a A&A Miniatures release to that point....Belgian, Slovakian, and South African units made their debut.

Counter Offensive 1941–1943 set of 50 minis was released October 2010. It featured combat units from 14 nations. New Zealand, Yugoslavia, and Croatia made their debut; while nations like Hungary, Japan, and the USSR received important units to add to their existing forces.

A Late War set is rumored to be released in 2013, pushed from 2012 due to the Angels 20 product release. Personally for me, this Late War set MIGHT get my interest back, being in the area time-wise, that I do most of my wargaming.

There seems to be some action left in the War at Sea line. What really has my attention at the moment is the aforementioned Angel's 20 line, which is their new air war line. I'm looking at these from the standpoint of adding more to my limited air collection. Of everything made, Wizard's naval and air units can't be beat.

Myself....I have been converting my Axis & Allies Miniatures for use with Fire & Fury's Battlefront WWII!
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Hagen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Hagen » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:14 pm

I have to agree with the slow and terrible death part. I was up at our other place last weekend, this is where my small collection of A&A minis reside ready for a quick Saturday afternoon game.

I also saw the the Late War set has been pushed back or, left to drift off into oblivion. :) As with you Em I like the 1944-45 period of the war and was also looking forward to this set.

While looking around for A&A minis I was kind of surprised that not much appears to have been done by others about any kind of home made rules or tweaking the ones that come with the game.

Oh well

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:13 pm

I have a small group of their Cromwell tanks, they were very well done....
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:29 pm

Hagen wrote:While looking around for A&A minis I was kind of surprised that not much appears to have been done by others about any kind of home made rules or tweaking the ones that come with the game.

Oh well

That, has actually surprised me, as well. I am not sure the A&AM series ever really took off....

1. The had a presence at the 2007 Origins Game Expo, with Wizards of the Coast there and running a tourney. I placed in the top three and for four or six boosters as a prize. It was well attended. But then in 2008' when Origins turned into a Game Faire, WotC was noticeably absent; and the dude that's run A&AM games apart from WotC had his events fall through with no-shows.

2. WotC's Axis & Allies Miniatures website had a club of sorts, called Combat Zone, which ran events at game stores by providing hosting packs to those that requested running one. Not one store in Massachusetts seemed to have a Combat Zone event. I suspect that club died in the vines.

3. Almost every game store I've been to in six States here in the Northeast have long since supported carrying the line....there is only one that I know of that has them. The owners said to a person, the line sold like stale bread.

4. I have read in numerous, credible resources that WotC has perhaps the worst publicity strategy...if there even is one. It's their Weird Uncle Harry line, that they feel too guilty to cut him off from the Thanksgiving feast, but stuff him at the kids table in the living room.

I could go on.....

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:32 pm

Frizzenspark wrote:I have a small group of their Cromwell tanks, they were very well done....

I think their PzIVJ's and Tigers are awesome. The DAK sets' Sherman's were very nice too. I think many of their minis held up well against the best....but, they had a LOT of turkeys, too! And don't get me started with their Pre-15mm days!!!!!

Hagen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Hagen » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:12 pm

Whiterook wrote:And don't get me started with their Pre-15mm days!!!!!

I think that a bad start, I think miniaturists, by our very nature want everything in scale. IMO the different scale between vehicles and soldiers was as good of an idea as New Coke was.

I could be wrong on that but, I know if you can find an A&A minis game being played it is with the constant 15mm scale.

I think there was so much possibility with these, it's a shame.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:17 pm

Hagen wrote:
Whiterook wrote:And don't get me started with their Pre-15mm days!!!!!

I think that a bad start, I think miniaturists, by our very nature want everything in scale. IMO the different scale between vehicles and soldiers was as good of an idea as New Coke was.

I could be wrong on that but, I know if you can find an A&A minis game being played it is with the constant 15mm scale.

I think there was so much possibility with these, it's a shame.

I don't think you're wrong on that at all....

Lets face it....Flames of War pretty much owns 1st place in the WWII 15mm miniatures market, and rightfully so; they are absolutely awesome with their vehicle/armor/artillery range. The level of casting, detail, and quality is first rate. If there is anywhere they could be called mediocre IMHO, it would be their infantry.

That's a pretty bold statement on the face of it but, when you look at companies like Old Glory alone, everyone falls a tad (and I mean just a tad) short of FoW's quality. Where the field evens out is the infantry.

Wizards of the Coast/Avalon Hill REALLY missed the boat from the start on cracking into this niche market:

* First, they totally screwed up NOT staying true to 15mm vehicles for the first few sets.

* Second, they re-issued previous non-15mm vehicles in subsequent sets in 15mm ...now, I get the 'they can't give it away for free' thing, as there were sooooo many, but...they could have had a trade in program that issued a voucher. I would have gladly traded is a crapload of minis that are just collecting dust for some vouchers for something special.

* Third, there marketing as a 'collectible' really sucks for the mature miniature Wargamer, as you have to either buy by the case to get a near full set, or suffer through tons of duplicates. The collectibles/booster pack sales tactic is just a way for them to rake in the bucks. Unless you're a 15 year old kid in school, there ain't no way your going to be able to trade your way to a full set.

* Fourth, they abandoned us. Plain and simple, they did not put the effort to keep the collector vested in the product so, game stores in flocks started to pull the product off their shelves. Fact. WotC went straight from A&AM minis into Star Wars and never looked back. Same mentality as the game consoles dumping WWII titles for modern day covert ops.

I could go in......

Hagen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Hagen » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:44 pm

Whiterook wrote: there marketing as a 'collectible' really sucks for the mature miniature Wargamer, as you have to either buy by the case to get a near full set, or suffer through tons of duplicates. The collectibles/booster pack sales tactic is just a way for them to rake in the bucks. Unless you're a 15 year old kid in school, there ain't no way your going to be able to trade your way to a full set.

How could I forget to mention that part of it! I just wanted to build American and German forces and would get quiet frustrated with buying packs to end up with nothing I needed or wanted.

And excellent point about the "mature miniature wargamer". I don't think they gave it a thought. Designed and made for kids who could swap stuff at school like we used to swap football or baseball cards. To bad because we were here with cash in hand.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:23 pm

Geeeez....I was looking around the web for A&AM articles or news on the line, and I am firmly convinced the line is totally dead. I remember the main designer was let go...actually, around Christmas a couple years ago or so...and it didn't look good then. In the meantime, the next sets on the drawing board were cancelled and never happened.

The brand going to Wizards of the Coast likely had a lot to do with the demise, as they had announced some time ago that they wanted out of the painted miniature biz. Considering the less than stellar reception of the Angel's 20 aircraft line, I am not surprised the whole shebang went the way of the Doh-Doh Bird.

RIP, A&AM. Glad I found ya'; glad I got what I wanted; sorry to see you gone (but in truth, I had moved on to resin and metal, anyway).

Return to “Axis & Allies Miniatures & Conversions”