15mm Alternatives for WWII Miniature Wargaming

Discussion subforum for A&AM, and Conversions to Other Systems

Moderator: Frank

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

15mm Alternatives for WWII Miniature Wargaming

Postby Whiterook » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:17 pm

What alternatives are out there to 15mm WWII Armor miniatures, that won't break the bank?

This morphed from a discussion eslewhere, of the fact that the Battlefront Rules by Fire & Fury would be a perfect match to the A&AM system, thereby doubling your playability. There are many miniature wargamers out there, playing a host of systems from A&AM to Flames of War, and a host of others. Each system has it's merits, and thereby it's own dedicated following; and many miniature game systems sell products specific to their own game system, and usually at a hefty price.

Some wargamers are "purists", in that they would never dream of mixing and matching components, or outright substitutions for their chosen game. Neither would many of these gamers dream of mixing scales, slight though the differences may be. But for each purist, there is a renegade; a rogue gamer gamer that flys in the face of decorum and proclaims in a commanding voice for all the world to hear, "Chill out, Dude!".

I such a rogue!

I was born in frugal New England, in the fair State of Massachusetts, and I know the value of a buck. I'm not saying I'm a cheap SOB...far from it...my meager bank account will testify to that little gem of fact! My simple credo in frugality translates directly to the simple outcome that: the more money I can save on gaming expeditures on any one system, means I have that much more money to spend on another gaming system. I am of the age-old belief that, the one with the most toys, wins! And ladies and gentlemen, I am in the running for victory!!!

OK, so back to the point: 15mm WWII Armor, vehicle, artillery, and infantry.....what are our choices?

NOTE: THE FOLLOWING LIST IS NUMBERED, BUT THE ORDER IN NO WAY REPRESENTS MY CHOICE IN ORDER....RATHER, JUST THE ORDER I DISCOVERED AND CHOSE THEM IN:

#1 --> Axis & Allies Miniatures (land). I had started with these little beauties! I love Axis & Allies Miniatures, especially it's armor and vehicles. They do the job quite handily. I look at my collection, and certain anatomical features swell with pride. They are all plastic and pre-oainted, so it's pretty much 'no fuss; no muss'. Detail is nice, but there are some problems with the brand: Miss matched scales; repainted camo schemes to same AFVs for re-sale in subsequent expansion releases; a lack of support on their website with posting udated galleries of new releases; cancelling major events at conventions....just to name a few. Still, if you need quick down-and-dirty nice quality 15mm miniatures, this is prime territory!

#2 --> Classic Armor. I had started to add onto my A&AM system armor with this brand of miniatures. Problem with these is, they are in the 1/144 scale, which place them at about 14mm; that's not far a jump, and I can be pretty anal about stuff like that at times. The thing is, I have picked up armor at a tenth of the price I would pay for the A&AM miniatures. WalMart, for instance, sold them at $0.97 cents a pop (I pretty much bought out the stock in my area stores)! I have seen them range from there, up towards the $4-8 dollar range, which can still be a good deal. For a peek at Classic Armor, check out the following website for Foxhole Toys: http://store.foxholetoys.com/1144.html NOTE: I'm sure there are other websites out there that sell them, so by all means shop around.

#3 --> Flames of War. Well, this is pretty much a no-brainer, and is in my estimation, the biggest selling 15mm WWII miniatures on the market. Amazing sculpts, solid, acurate, and diverse in range. They are a masterpiece even befoe painting! These were my forst tru 15mm supplimenting choice, and would be my preferred, except for the cost. Again...Frugal New Englander here...weren't you reading??? Vendors are everywhere for this line, so I won't bother pointing any specific way. I had sought out and found much cheaper cost alternatives without sacrificing greatly in quality, which leads me to #4

#4 --> Old Glory Command Decision. These have trned out to be one of my absolute favorites; and have also become my go-to choice for increasing and supplimenting my Oeder of Battle. They are all metal, thugh the chassies are hollow, but that is of no consequence as they are still very nicely weighted. Fantastic sculpts, solid, accurate, and also diverse in range. What brought me to this line initially was seeking out an American M35 Jackson, which I could not find in Flamed of War or Axis & Allies Miniatures. The best thing about these ar the price....you can pick up a lot more product for the same currency exchange for Flames of War. My go-to vendor for these are Warweb.....http://www.warweb.com/command-decision-wwii-c-70_138_1417_413.html

#5 --> Peter Pig. I don't own any of these but they look amazing. To me, they seem to be more a european market, but that never stopped me paying out for quality pieces! The sculpt look awesome. An example, see their website at....http://www.peterpig.co.uk/range8.htm

#6 --> Quality Casting. Again, I don't own any of these, but from what I've see, they are also amazing. And once again, Warweb is the place to shop......http://www.warweb.com/quality-casting-wwii-c-70_153_420.html

So that's my list. I ask...do you know of any good Armor alternatives for 15mm wargaming?
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Chrisd
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Re: 15mm Alternatives for WWII Miniature Waraming

Postby Chrisd » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:12 pm

You forgot Point of Contact and i know you own those half tracks :P looking at some of the pictures for peterpig it looks likes modeling clay? or are they using plastic? I read the review on the zone and i am not sure what route to really take because i am a stickler for keeping everything the same size and i read too that some of these other manufacturers are actually off by a bit to make them look actually smaller :(
Let's do this the old navy way, the 1st one to die LOSES!

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:19 pm

I use quite a lot of Peter pig stuff and think they are brilliant for infantry as they do small package`s of thing, the average pack size is 8 figures although it can work out more with something like m.g`s where you get3 m.g`s/gunners, 3 loaders and 2 separate figures. I have bought a pack of radio men for my Brits and Germans to make artillery spotters. You could not do that with some of the other company`s I have not tried their vehicles yet as with the p+p added it quite often works out cheaper to go to an on-line dealer who gives you 10% off and free postage for FOW vehicles. They do have some different stuff to the other ranges as well, like French civilians, nuns and dogs which could be useful for someone doing a diorama. they are also the only company I have seen that do Japanese figures. Some of their other ranges look very nice as well, the American Civil War particularly.
There is a US stockist http://brookhursthobbies.com
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:23 pm

Chrisd wrote:You forgot Point of Contact and i know you own those half tracks :P looking at some of the pictures for peterpig it looks likes modeling clay? or are they using plastic? I read the review on the zone and i am not sure what route to really take because i am a stickler for keeping everything the same size and i read too that some of these other manufacturers are actually off by a bit to make them look actually smaller :(

I think the scales may be varied within a class, like 15mm, by just a tad. As long as they are fairly close, it's cool with me. Rediculously off likeearly Axis & Allies Miniatures are a different thing all together.

On the Point of Contact.....yeah, I love those! I put uo a thread on them. They are technicall 1:100, but again, close enough. Thanks for pointing them out....they deserve inclusion!
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Return to “Axis & Allies Miniatures & Conversions”