Discussion subforum for A&AM, and Conversions to Other Systems

Moderator: Frank

Site Admin
Site Admin

My Love/Hate Relationship with Axis & Allies Miniatures Maps

Postby Whiterook » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:51 am

Well, they're paper!

Well, they're miniatures!

That doesn't equate for me! I've laid all the cards on the table :lol: :D Let me drill down into the above. The paper maps for this system always turned me off....plain and simple. All the folds in the paper, and the stock printed on subject to degrading with those cool plastic beasties traversing its' surface. No no no, any self-respecting miniature gamer does NOT pick up a Tiger I and gently place it several space roll, baby, slide it across the terrain making "grrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!" Sounds!

.....that's only somewhat jokingly, by the way! :lol: There is a aesthetic quality to moving vehicles like vehicles more; not like hovercraft or jumping robots from Transformers.

Yes, you can roll the maps up (ever see the movie, 'Twister'?'ll appreciate the aforementioned all the better). And you can NOT drag mini's over them. And you can place plexi over them. Ugh, That's just too much for me, personally.

And then there's the 3D terrain printed in 2D factor. Yes, it gets the mechanics across; but at the expense of what miniature gaming is supposed to be about (beyond what board wargames bring to the table, no pun intended): the *FEEL* of the real think, visually detailed in all its glory in miniature.

I say this with all due respect but, one of the more humorous things I see are A&AM players who actually put terrain on the maps! ...little trees and rocks and hills. I get it....the maps have the pre-proportioned spaces and roads, and such. But still....I can't help but think, "Why bother?"

I've played A&AM on dioramas and experience far more rewarding I ask myself, what good are the maps?

Well, the only thing I can come up with are, they are great for travel.

I can't say they are good for conventions, because, to be honest, no one really plays this game on a tournament level anymore from what I've seen or heard. But to bring to a club, or friendly gathering, the maps have their usefulness.

Plus....I'm cheap....I bought them so I'll be damned if I'll throw them away! :lol:

OK....I said my peace

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Return to “Axis & Allies Miniatures & Conversions”