Axis & Allies Minaitures: Conversion to Combat HQ

Discussion subforum for A&AM, and Conversions to Other Systems

Moderator: Frank

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Axis & Allies Minaitures: Conversion to Combat HQ

Postby Whiterook » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:36 pm

I have a very large collection of Axis & Allies Miniatures (Land), and they are sitting, gathering dust. No one plays this great game anymore, and I can kinda see why.... The game company has totally abandonned it really, and it's becoming a bit of a joke among gamers if you're still an enthusiast for the system.

As far as the system itself, well, it can be more beer & pretzels gaming than full bloodletting Wargaming, so I get it. But still, I spent a lot of time and money for these miniatures I due to their 'collectible' marketing (which I believe is the biggest scam on Earth in Wargaming). I don't want to give them away on EBay; and I say that because, they seemed to have devalued enormously compared to what you used to see them price at. Plus, I happen to love the little plastic gems!

So..... Conversion! :D

One of the systems I want to use these with is Combat HQ, by Jim Bamba

image.jpeg
Combat HQ Rules

http://wargamesdesign.com/rulebooks/combat-hq/

I was lucky to get on the Recon Team for this game system, and get an advanced copy to evaluate. I was so impressed, I bought my own finished copy on Amazon the day it was released!

I have been looking for a system that bridges a gap between the simplicity of Axis & Allies Miniatures, and the complexity of Flames of War. This is just one of very few systems I've found that fit that bill, while also filling the criteria of being unique unto itself.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Axis & Allies Minaitures: Conversion to Combat HQ

Postby Whiterook » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:49 pm

It plays at Platoon-level, but the scope upon which you play those platoons is only limited to your personal OB of units avaialble. I like that a lot!

As mentioned, for me, I will be playing this in 15mm, using Axis & Allies Minaitures. I also have a decent collection of Flames of War armor, and Old Glory armor, so I will include those, as well....however, Axis & Allies Miniatures will be the lion share.

A vehicle model represents 5-units (ex. 1 model = 5 tanks); while a base of infantry figures equal 30-50 men. This is pretty standard stuff...but what I especially like is that it is also flexible on how you base. Where some systems have a following of players that DEMAND you base only in such a way, only with their miniatures, this is an open-minded system where if you own a huge number of say Axis & Allies Minatures (like I do), you can convert your idle and dust clad gems into a mean, lean fighting machine!

The system is heavily dice driven (ten 6-side dice is the norm), encompassing how you move, fight, rally, defend; and used with the systems alternating player action, you remain engaged throughout a typical 2-4 hour game. You are the overall Commander of your side; your platoons assuming to inherently containing it's leaders. The combination of using these Command dice, with a mechanic of Staff Orders (that also allow additional movement and artillery, for instance), give you a system that demands that you make tough decisions throughout the game to achieve your goals.

The rulebook is well laid out, and quite maneuverable by a good contents section. Though not a general inclusion in most systems, I like the fact the author took the time to add inspirational quote snippets from Warriors of the past to start each section...it really gets you in the mood. This is a hefty rulebook as well, numbering past 200+ pages, so there is a lot of meat to the system. However, to my relief, the 'meat' was an easy chew! Well thought out and designed, the system is easy to learn. I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but that will happen in short order! I can't wait to play this system.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Return to “Axis & Allies Miniatures & Conversions”