v2, first thoughts.

Discussion subforum for Bolt Action

Moderator: Frank

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

v2, first thoughts.

Postby Frank » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:35 am

I have had a first read through, and while I have probably missed a few things, it mostly seems good. I will just go through a couple of things that hit me.

Officers.
As said before they now let you activate units near them, 1 for a 2nd Lt, up to 4 for a Major. Lt`s have a leadership bubble of 6" for this, Captains and Majors 12". It makes sense to let higher ranks have a bigger influence though how it will actually work out I am still not too sure of. It could imbalance the game.

Close Combat.
Smg`s and assault rifles and such no longer have 2 attacks in H To H, instead they now give you Tough Fighter (I think they called it) which lets you roll a second dice in combat if your first caused a casualty. This seems reasonable, and together with the 6" reduction in range for assault rifles might mean less 10 man squads all with AR`s.

Arti/Air spotters.
Air is unchanged, a 1 still lets the enemy position the template but arti and smoke now have a 3d6 random deviation instead. Why they have included smoke in this I do not know but it is possible that I have missed the reason in what was a fairly quick read through. The atri makes sense to me under the old "what goes up must come down" principle while air is called in and you can still get pilot error. This could potentially help the Brits more than anyone else due to their free arti observer.

Tanks.
You now have to fire ALL weapons at the same target. This seems ridiculous as a hull mg in a turreted vehicle will quite often be facing a different direction to the main gun.

Pins.
They no longer affect morale checks only, seemingly, things like shooting. I am not sure just how that will work out.

Recce.
You can now only do a recce escape if you have not yet activated. Recce was far too good before but this seems to have taken it too far in the opposite direction. I suppose that it could still be used to make a tank waste its shot but that seems to be all, again I will have to see just how that works.

The book itself seems quite well laid out and as usual some great illustrations. It does have lists for the main 5 nations but nowhere as comprehensive as in the original, for example the German list includes just 3 tanks, the mk 4, 5 ,6. and just 1 armoured car, the 234. All lists just have the very basic troop type, probably to encourage you to buy the army/theatre books as well. It contains a sheet to photo copy for the arti templates (which are now in the shop for pre order), the template themselves are quite good, there is only 2 rings which confused me a bit as there was supposed to be 4 sizes but they both have quite a thick ring with the interior circle being 1" and 3", and the exterior being 2" and 4".
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: v2, first thoughts.

Postby Frizzenspark » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:53 pm

I'm delaying my purchase; we're planing to travel out to Washington State to see my Son andhis Wife, plus the Blackwater Gulch Kickstarter which ends in a week. I assuming parts of my anatomy will not drop off because of this.

The gun rules for the tanks actually makes sense, Too many weapons too many distractions, Modern tanks are not so equipped...
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:49 am

I suppose it does make sense, it just seems weird not being able to after a few years playing that you could, also going back to FOW where you could.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:16 am

Played my first game with the new rules on Monday night and it does seem to work quite well, we both took a fairly unbalenced force so we could include as much of the new rules as possible. There were some units that we bought to try that did not survive to actually get a tryout but we just rolled to see what happens anyway.

I went with:
Captain. for the new command rules.
Air spotter. for the new air rules. Bryn took an arti spotter.
2nd Lt.
Veteran squad with some assault rifles for the new assault rules and PanzerFausts for the new no penalty to aiming rule.
2 regular squads, with lmg. for the new rof rules.
Flame thrower. for the new roll to hit rule.
75 Le ig. just because I like them :D
Puma. for the recce and template rule.
7/2 quad flak track for the he template and air rules.

Most of the rules worked well, I am still not sure if they have nerfed Recce a bit too much but we will have to see how that goes.

Air is now harder to use, with the plane being shot down if 3x 5s are rolled. A 50 cal on an Achilles (M10) and an armoured car were enough to see of my plane, I rolled to see if my (destroyed :cry: ) 7/2 would have done anything needing a 3+ to restrain fire, and of course rolled a 1. 8 shots each doing d3 hits would have blown anything out of the sky.

The arti was on target but we rolled scatter anyway which just left it in the middle of nowhere., but at least it was not re-directed like air would have been.

Flamethrowers having to roll to hit changes them a bit, you still are at point blank range and ignore cover so you only usually need a 3 to hit but I still managed to roll a 1 despite actually touching one of the Tommies with the thrower. We did roll to see what would have happened and the 1 pin+ d3 for a morale check would have wiped out the Tommies.

The 2cm autocannons on the 7/2 were rolled for both as a standard shot and as a 1" template and, with the standard shot being a +2 pen and the HE being a +1 it does look as if your best bet is direct fire unless you have a large unit quite bunched up, in which case that could really ruin somebodies day.

The assault weapons having 2 shots but the tough fighter rules in combat worked out ok, rolling 1 dice each to attack and rolling an extra dice if you hit to get the 2 attacks only cost 1 actual hit so that was not too bad.

The multi activation command rules worked quite well, though you do have to say what each unit is doing before you start. You cant just activate the officer and 2 units and fire 1 unit at a target and then fire the 2nd unit at it if it does not wipe it out. You havr to say that "unit A will shoot target and then unit B will assault it"

The new improved HE rules made taking the Achilles with its super heavy 17pdr viable (the 50 cal was useful as well) as it could do damage even if the enemy does not bring armour, so all those people who moved over from FOW and bought a Firefly without checking up on what it can do will be more able to field them now, though at our club we just usually field them as normal Shermans anyway., but that could change.
Gandalf the Grey

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:36 pm

Just played my second game and I am really liking the new rules.

The H E rules against buildings are a lot more dangerous now with a hit being caused by hitting the building itself rather than rolling to hit the men inside with all the modifiers to hit that that entailed.

Air, if it is not destroyed, is quite nasty with an area effect going out from the unit hit which can make it quite a large area, also we got it wrong in the first game and you also get a template round where you place the plane so you can cause damage to quite a few units with careful placement. There is only the target unit that takes actual damage but putting pins on units can be nearly as good.
Gandalf the Grey

Return to “Bolt Action”