Operation Martlet

Discussion subforum for Bolt Action

Moderator: Frank

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Operation Martlet

Postby Frank » Sun May 29, 2016 8:37 am

My local games club have been running a campaign based on Operation Martlet, one of the actions fought around the Caen area using BA rules but with the background from a Too Fat Lardies mini campaign.

http://toofatlardies.co.uk/index.php?ma ... cts_id=163

We have four players on each side. Each player picks 750 points of just infantry with no more than 250 being veteran. Any casualties are rolled for after a game, on a 1,2,3 they are fine, on a 4,5 they are wounded and miss a game, on a 6 they are dead and will take two games to be replaced. A unit can only fight two consecutive battles before becoming exhausted and losing a point of leadership. Both sides have a pool of 1250 points of support which can be added to a list, but, if it is destroyed you have to roll for that as well so using it is a risk.

My force consists of:

1st Lt with mp40, Regular
2 x regular with stg 44

Squad 1. 6 Vets
Nco with stg44
2 x stg44
2 x mp40
2 x Faust

Squad 2. 7 vets
Nco stg44
1 x stg44
2 x mmg
1 x Faust

Squad 3. 7 regulars
Nco mp40
1 x mmg
1 x Faust

Squad 4. 7 regulars.
Nco mp40
1 x mmg
1 x Faust

Squad 5. 7 regulars.
Nco mp40
1 x mmg
1 x Faust

Squad 6. 9 regulars.
Nco mp40
1 x mmg
1 x Faust

The first reports have be shared on the FB page and we have the next game this Monday evening
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Operation Martlet

Postby Frizzenspark » Sun May 29, 2016 8:52 am

Looks interesting; I'm an Anglophile so thisis my cup of tea. My Son's force will likely be 12th SS.
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Tue May 31, 2016 1:58 pm

The Lardies do do some great campaign packs, and quite cheap for what you get.

Well, Mondays game was a complete disaster. We played end to end on a 6" x 4" with a straight road running end to end down the middle with hedges and trees on one side and open ground the other side. I had a farm complex in my deployment zone. The allies split 1300 points and after a bit of confusion I ended up taking 1500 points on my own. 1000 on table to start with and the other 500 coming on as flankers from turn 3.

I started off putting Ambush orders on everything but my sniper mortar which missed the first turn :shock: , but it did hit on the second turn taking out half a GI squad. Turn 2 the US air observer managed to take out the British Sherman :D , prompting the GM to allow the Allies some extra reinforcements . Turn 4 is when it all went wrong, the second air strike and the Brit arti barrage both came in on pretty much the same spot, right in the middle of my defences catching all bar 1 of my squads and leaving most with 4 pins. :cry: My mortar finished of the GI`s and my flankers came on, on the open side so they were very exposed and were soon taken out, my Mk iv came on and immobilised the new Sherman. The 2 tanks just kept missing each other for the rest of the game.

After the game we decided my mortar has to be the mvp of the campaign, last night he hit 4 out of 6 shots on a 6,2(ranged in),6, 6.

The next game is going to be carnage, side to side on an open plain with a road running end to end and a couple of clumps of foliage. We are being allowed extra points for armour above what is n the support pool.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Tue May 31, 2016 7:25 pm

Sounds like a great time; my artillery has often given great service on my opponents behalf ;)
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:15 pm

I have always been too chicken to take air or arti myself. I was really thinking about it one game where I played US but the sheer coincidence of 2 air strikes and taking 2 afv`s was just too much. :lol:

With this Mondays club night being the 6th it only seemed right to do a d-day scenario, so far we have the Yanks doing the attacking so it looks like Omaha beach. :D
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:19 pm

Frank wrote:I have always been too chicken to take air or arti myself....

I can relate :roll:
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Return to “Bolt Action”