Bolt Action, Tank Wars

Discussion subforum for Bolt Action

Moderator: Frank

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Bolt Action, Tank Wars

Postby Frizzenspark » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:37 pm

It would not be practical to fight this in any other scale than 15mm. I have decided not to build any more armies, but focus on what I have. I can add components, just no new starts. My 28mm Americans were my last Army.
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:30 pm

We did our first Tank Wars in 15mm last night, just as a trial run. We both went just a bit overboard on units :roll: ,Nick had 2 x 3 Shermans, 3 m10, 3 Stuarts and 2 x 57mm at guns.

I had 2 x Panthers, 3 Stugs, 3 Mk4, and a Marder.

We forgot that we were at a -1 to hit for being inexperienced until half the way through the second turn and that combined with a lot of pins meant I spent a fair bit of each turn doing nothing. At the end of turn six with no real prospect of either of us getting a skill we just rolled for a random tank each to get one to see how they work, and ,of course, it was my immobilised tank that got one, and, of course, a driver skill.

I think I have got Nick round to the idea of 15mm, just have to work on Bryn now because as it is we will need to pool our 28mm stuff to get anything like a viable force and there is no guarentee we will all be around to do that but with me not using my 15mm stuff at the moment I can loan the other guys their force. And on a 6 x 4 table lots of vehicles look better in 15mm.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:59 pm

I have terrain and plenty of tanks; trucks and troops 15mm should be a cinch!
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

Return to “Bolt Action”