Bolt Action

Discussion subforum for Bolt Action

Moderator: Frank

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Bolt Action

Postby Frank » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:39 pm

It is quite an improvement, the only quibble I do have is that the generic army lists in the main book are less comprehensive than in the first one meaning you really do need to get the specific army book rather than being able to do a reasonable army from the main book. The inclusion of the Japanese is good though.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:38 pm

They want to sell more Japanese.
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:43 pm

I really like the Japanese minis, just a shame we play ETO only at the moment.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:49 pm

I have a Chindit Army to oppose any Japanese forces; I'm considering a Vanilla American force as a future project.
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:16 am

Basic G I`s can be a very good force, the move and fire rule is really useful, as is their no penalty on reserves coming on rule owing to their superior comms. The two airstrikes per observer has been nerfed a bit but it is still useful.

Would you be thinking of BTD or Warlord for the minis. If Warlord then the Rangers box is very useful as it is the basic G I box with some added metal bits like a flame thrower and bangalore torpedo`s so you would be able to do an engineer squad as well.

My Pak 40 and 57mm have arrived from BTD, at the moment they are about 6th on my "need finishing urgently" list :roll: , so many minis, so few pairs of hands.
Gandalf the Grey

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:56 pm

For the US troops, I'll likely use BTD I generally prefer metals. BTD had a double-secret probation clearance sale on a few odd WWII miniatures.... I have someof my first US soldiers, a set with Radios (two-man backpack radio and a Walkie-Talkie) and General Mark Clark.

I also have a preference for Warlord's Artillery over BTDs the one big exception is the German 75mm Infantry Gun.

My Churchill AVRE is nearly finished, a little detail work, decals and voom it will zoom across the Battlefield. The tracks were tricky, I have to get used to separate links and sections.

All this, and I still have nothing finished; My Canadians need straps and other detail items, they'd be okay on a table as-is, but I'd like to get them across the finish line. The Germans are proceeding well. Chindits are also a near complete. Paras are in a pause (likely, so that I can add another squad.). I have my Butt-load of Warlord Plastic Russians with other metal support (Warlord and BTD) I am tempted to replace the plastics with BTD Russians...

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:18 pm

Did the sneak move after work, went to the F(semi)LGS: It's actually on far (West) side of Columbus; I'm on East Side; Travel was oddly smooth and without incident during Rush Hour.

I picked up some paint for my Germans; my bottle of Tamiya Field Gray was not as full as I remembered.... had to decide between Vallejo German Uniform and Field Gray (Feldgrau).... I opted for the German Uniform, since the Feldgrau was a little too grau for me.

To make the trip a little more worthwhile I finally purchased the Two-Ring Template; So now tha I have the V.2 Rulebook and V.2 German Book as well I am updated to V.2 standards... Hurray for me!!!

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:35 am

I have effectively finished my Churchill AVRE, The kit did not come with AVRE specific decals; I chose to use the Irish Horse markings, since they supported the Canadians in Italy (They have a tiny Maple Leaf added to their insignia) .

I started and managed to get through a few steps in the assembly of my Tamiya Marder III kit last night; I hope to get some decent assembly this week since I'm off until Monday.

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:16 pm

I have a game next Monday, 13th, and I am not sure yet if I will be Yanks or Gerries, I will have to finalise soon so I can get the relevant A T gun at least base coated.

I love the Marder model, it just has so much more character than the later fully enclosed T D`s.
Gandalf the Grey

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:04 pm

The tracks to the Marder kit were less fiddly than i anticipated, though they were still fiddly; I have the hull assembly on a base already, I'll build the above the waist parts later.

BTD has another 50% Off sale; I think I can get a good toehold on my 'Muricans for about Thirty Bucks (US); this will include a .30 cal Machine gun and a Medium Mortar.

Return to “Bolt Action”