Bolt Action

Discussion subforum for Bolt Action

Moderator: Frank

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Bolt Action

Postby Frizzenspark » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:14 pm

After a moderately rough week and a half, I'm somewhat fatigued; I have my Canadians out for finishing work (they've been out for two days) I'm hoping to get something done, but so far, nothing's coming.

I informed Black Tree Miniatures NOT to ship anything else in my orders of "Vanilla" Germans until they have everything; they sent a partial order.... I'm not in a rush, I was just taking advantage of their 40% off offer. They're doomed to be held in Limbo under a Tree until Christmas.

I surrendered my first edition Germany book to my son; I was checking many sites, the prices have not yet dropped on them... I'll be patient before I get one; I still have to get the second editions of the rules as well as the second edition of the germany book.
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:32 am

I haven't posted to this topic for a while; I have been busy... My Canadians still aren't finished, but they're close. I have assembled my Germansl I still have to work on the bases, and prime them.

I got the Warlord Plastic Churchill Tank; there are essentially two turrets in the kit expanding playing options (minus the rear stowage box and a few details) The guns have different Mantlets for the welded and cast turrets. I'm not sure on the practicallity of exchanging gun barrels; The NA-75 version is an obvious dead-end selection for the cast turret.

Looking over the kit I will build it primarily as an AVRE and allow for othe options if I can get them to work.
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:56 pm

An AVRE Churchill has got to be one of the most worrying sights to see coming across the table.

I really do like the new system where you can build at least two options for the same tank. I have just gone for the cheap`n`cheerful option with one of my Shermans, while rewiring a plug a while ago I noticed that the flex was a similar size to the 75 barrel so I cut a length, slit it lengthways and it just fits over the barrel with a hardly noticeable gap, easily removed and replaced, making it into a 95mm.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:32 pm

Today three parcels arrived today. I ordered aome more Germans from BTD to round out my Grenadier Platoon, two officers, eight riflemen, and three radiomen. Received an LeiG 75mm Infantry gun and a PaK 38 50mm AT gun (both Warlord) from NWS. My copy of "Armies of Germany" (V.2) arrived from Half Price books.... I did receive a Warlord SdKfz 222 Armoured car yesterday.

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:41 pm

I1d be interested to hear your thought on the new German national rules. I think they are generally quite good though I think that the Tiger Fear one throws out the points cost between the StuG and the Mk 4.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:03 pm

Frank wrote:I1d be interested to hear your thought on the new German national rules. I think they are generally quite good though I think that the Tiger Fear one throws out the points cost between the StuG and the Mk 4.

I still don't have the V.2 rules.... soon I guess. I like the V.2 German Army Book; the old one WAS in need of replacement.

I'll have a Tamiya Marder III arriving some time; my armies tend to have Tank Destroyers.

I'm getting progress done on my armies, about an hour a night, :)

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:08 pm

I took advantage of a price drop and purchased the BA II rules for around 25 bucks (including postage); I should see them soon.

I also took advantqage of a small clearance sale from Black Tree Miniatures: I got several of the eight dollar packs for two bucks and some change each; Mostly Germans. My German force is coming along nicely.

I really do like the look of the new German Army Book; it's a needed improvement over the older volume, since the game has expanded since its release.

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:15 pm

Fully assembled my Churchill AVRE last night; primed it black before I went to work this evening; it's ready to paint this evening. I have the spare turret to put together to make a gun tank; I'll likely use the 75mm gun since it will be a little thicker and withstand abuse better than the six-pounder.

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:40 pm

Makes sense going with the sturdier option, I very much doubt anyone would quibble about you useing it as either a 75 or 6pdr as there is hardly any difference, and having two turrets does give you a lot more options.

I think you will like the new rules, they do make more sense than the old ones.
Gandalf the Grey

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:04 pm

My book arrived today.... it is much more attractive on first glance; it also appears to have taken the experience of the maturity of the game in its layout.

Return to “Bolt Action”