Bolt Action

Discussion subforum for Bolt Action

Moderator: Frank

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Bolt Action

Postby Frank » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:39 pm

The guy I was supposed to be playing at our club could not make it and I ended up giving Bolt Action a try. I loved it!

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2012/09/ ... anics.html

Written by, in my opinion, two of the best games developers of recent years, Allessio Cavatore and Rick Priestley, it is a simple to play game with a large amount of "fog of war" provided by the dice used to decide who goes next. It is a scenery intensive game which makes for a very nice looking table and there are some great official minis for it, as well as a lot of stuff by other companies, and a lot of it is in plastic so it can be quite cheap and there is a lot of scope for conversions and unique looking armies. Daft as it might seem, the dice are the most expensive part, with the figures coming in at just under £1 each.

http://www.warlordgames.com/bolt-action/

There are quite a few main rules books floating round the club so I have just ordered a German forces army book so I can sort out a rough buying list. I really like the look of the German combat engineers, but, it seems I can`t actually field an engineer force but I would be able to use quite a few of them as support with a Heer base.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Bolt Action

Postby Frank » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:35 pm

It turns out that there has been an addition to the list, an engineer force was PDF`ed on the 8th of October, so it all just looks to be pre ordained :roll:

http://www.warlordgames.com/showcase-german-pioniers/

These are multi part kits so there is incredible leeway for conversion and customisation though they do look a bit (alright, very) complicated to assemble, and possibly paint.

:D I can`t wait.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:28 pm

WOW....I'm very impressed by this game. I heard of it but hadn't looked into it at all.

image.jpg

First off...love the dice; and even more so love the concept of picking a die from a bag to see who goes next! I can see how that really makes the game unpredictable, especially when you really need to go next and you're not allowed that instant!

image.jpg
image.jpg (18.17 KiB) Viewed 2367 times

I also love the Pin system, and is quite a bit different than most games out there today.

Also, the miniatures are very cool.....love the look. The vehicles are SPECTACULAR! And as you say...plastic is cheaper (and less harmful for tweaking than resin). I don't know....on first glance, I kinda knee-jerk think of a Axis & Allies Miniatures meets Flames of War.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:31 pm

A few more pics....

image.jpg

Love the fact that you have wrecks....

image.jpg

This floors me!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I could easily get into this system!

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:26 pm

Thanks for putting the pics up mate, I REA:LY am going to have to learn to do that :roll: . The problem is that the bloke whose brain I was going to pick has just moved out of the street and is busy getting sorted in his new place :cry: .

They are great pics, Warlord seems to be mainly old Games Workshop staff and it looks like they have bought some of the painters with them. This is great brush work.
Gandalf the Grey

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:03 pm

So I am now the proud owner of a main rule book, the German Army book and the German Pioneer box.

So, whats in the box?

There are five sprue`s of what seems to be fairly standard German infantry. There are six bodies on each, four with torso and legs, two with torso and one leg with three separate legs so you can get a fair bit of variety in your mini`s. Several heads with steel helmet, forage cap, officers cap and bare head. Kar 98`s with telescopic sight and bayonet options, MP 40`s , mg 42`s and a pistol. Various webbing options, gas mask holders, ammo bags and so on.

There are also metal bits to convert to pioneers, special backpacks, flame thrower, mine detector, wire cutters, extra heads and a couple of PPSH`s which are an option for the NCOs, also a metal laying on his back guy to use as a wire cutter guy. Oh, and a Goliath. I LOVE Goliaths :lol:

Good crisp detail, though the metal bits have a fair bit of flashing.

I am going to have to show some restraint with these as I need to work out just what equipment each one needs to field a legal force, and not just start clipping and glueing. A couple of the options like wire cutters and mine detector are not actually an option in the lists though I will make them up anyway as they might come in useful for a specific scenario, and they can always be used as a rifleman during a game anyway.
Gandalf the Grey

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:06 pm

I have my Pioneers pretty much assembled apart from the back packs and some other things that could make painting difficult and I have just written my letter to Santa for a Puma 234/2, an 81mm mortar team, a 75mm Le ig infantry gun, a pack of grey dice and a command blister. This has two officers, a medic and a guy with a flare gun. Some nice figures, one with a Walther, one with a broomhandle Mauser with attached stock ( I did not think they were still used then but what the hell, it looks good :D ). These will give me a platoon commander, an optional senior officer, a medic and by adding a guy with binoculars to the flare gun guy, a spotter team for the Le ig.

Some of this stuff has to be cast to order so I thought it best to make sure. It would have been quicker getting it direct from the company but they are full price + postage whereas the company I use, Triple Helix, charge 20% off with £3 postage so anything £20 or more can give you some real savings.
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:21 pm

GREAT write-ups!!!! Sound wonderful....I have to practice extreme restraint myself in not flying into this game, as well....I have been pushing the limit of my wife's (and probably Santa's) patience with what I claim to be my retirement stash! :lol:

I'm preparing to make a Mark IV Miniatures order for 15mm WWII French buildings :D

Anyway, not to highjack your thread, mate....keep the reports coming! I can help with the camera thing....let me know what you own for a camera and computer, and I can walk you through it. maybe I'll get off my duff and do a tutorial here on the site, too!

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:30 pm

This is a great game, and its not ridiculously expensive to get into like some, with a lot of the infantry being available in plastic and a lot of the vehicles being re-done in plastic now. There are also pdf`s of the newer units that came out after the book so that if, like me, you wanted to do a unit that was not one of the originals then you just download that.

http://www.warlordgames.com/bolt-action ... nd-errata/

This is where the Pioneers list is, together with some pictures with the pioneer bits modeled on.

Those mk iv buildings do look good, most of our club buildings are the 4ground mdf stuff or a few Grand Manor. Not too many, they are fantastic quality but quite pricey.

http://www.grandmanner.co.uk
Gandalf the Grey

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:19 pm

I`ve just played my second game this Monday night, my official game finished early, (Yes, I lost,... again :roll: ) and I was able to replace one of the guys in a 2 on 2 game who had to leave early and considering it was basically one seasoned player and a noob on each side it flowed well. The dice mechanic works really well for multiple players with a different colour for each player and REALLY simulates fog of war as you know that you are going to be able to activate all your units (if they survive your opponents turn) but you have no idea when . I had part of an allied force and I had a Vickers set up covering a road that the Germans needed to cross, all I needed was one measly dice to set up an ambush but the fact that the Germans got the first three dice that turn between them meant that they snuck across the road while my Tommies were having a brew-up :roll:
Gandalf the Grey

Return to “Bolt Action”