ASL Starter Kits may be all you need

Discussion subforum for Advanced Squad Leader

Moderator: Duncan

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

ASL Starter Kits may be all you need

Postby Whiterook » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:58 pm

I was in a rather unique position, in that I signed up for and played in an Advanced Squad Leader tournament way before I was ready to actually play a single game! In fact, I went into the tournament not hitherto, actually playing a single scenario! Not my wisest decision!

But my grand bravado may be your boon! :D

After playing full-system rules scenarios, and having tactics and concepts thrown at my beleaguered troops (and exhausted mind) from every possible direction; and then also playing a few Starter Kit scenarios, I came to a simple conclusion:

Just play Starter Kits!!!! ...at least 'til you get the basics....then go from there if you want to swim to the deep end of the pool.

Start with SK1, and get it down pat. Then move on to the other two more advanced (no pun intended) Starter Kits in order, adding in more advanced (and powerful) weapons and tactics.

Those alone actually, can be all you need! I came to the realization that in the Starter Kits' simplified rules, you actually have a combined system that rivals and betters a lot of existing Wargame systems out there.

From there, you can then decide whether to go into the full system or not. The problem with just staying in the Starter Kit realm is, lack of scenarios....you will be limited, unless you design your own. However, if moving into the full system, this can probably be done at a more controlled rate, based solely on your desire and commitment to learn the full system over what certainly will be a very long time, unless you're a robot.

In a way, I wish there was an Intermediate level of rules outlined...for currently, it appears to me that it's feast or famine. But on that, I think it would be possible to play non-SK scenarios to a good degree, with some possible modifications to some SSRs and such.

Personally, I'll stick to the Starter Kits for now :D
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Duncan

Re: ASL Starter Kits may be all you need

Postby Duncan » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:59 am

The starter kits are great if you can get by the poor rulebook organization. If you need more there are scenarios available in Special Ops magazine and there is also the expansion set and Decision at Elst. Lots to play with.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:05 pm

Duncan wrote:The starter kits are great if you can get by the poor rulebook organization. If you need more there are scenarios available in Special Ops magazine and there is also the expansion set and Decision at Elst. Lots to play with.

You know, having read through the ASLSK1 rulebook, for like the third time at least, I can now really relate to what you were saying about the rulebook being poorly written. The format is horrible.

....but worse, the propensity of mixing multiple rules in the same paragraph is maddening; same section OK, but the same paragraph makes it so hard to to re-find things, and distracts the learning process from one rule element to the next.

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:31 pm

Sounds like they needed to do a re-write, or an introductory book to the starter rules explaining things in simpler language. I liked how 1A Games did that for Tide of Iron in the Next Wave installment. (you used to be able to download the books at 1A Games, but since FFG is taking it over again...)
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:38 pm

The length and breath of the rules are fine....it's really a matter of formatting the order and separations between sections and rules. sometime, there are redundancies in elements; other times, one element is embedded within another (the 'paragraph' thing I was mentioning); and other times, it's just jumbled.

Prep Fire moves right into Opportuinity Fire (not called 'Opportuinity fire', intoDefensive 'First Fire' and concluded with a short blip on conducting Prep Fire. It's so confusing.

I guess what it really comes down to is, MMP has to learn what a friggin' Header is!

Duncan

Postby Duncan » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:13 pm

You need to hook up with me to play live Vasl!

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:07 pm

Duncan wrote:You need to hook up with me to play live Vasl!

I'll take you up on that soon....you'll have to walk me through how that's done, though. I downloaded the newest and do previous versions. :D

Duncan

Postby Duncan » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:42 am

Vierville. Learn as we go. Nice and easy.

Return to “Advanced Squad Leader”