The making of Operation Nightwind

Scenario Development R&D, Discussion, and Advice

Moderators: 50th, josta59

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

The making of Operation Nightwind

Postby Whiterook » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:00 am

This is a scenario for Lock 'N Load's, Heroes of the Pacific game. It is a hypothetical scenario, which makes it a departure from most LNLP scenarios (which are based on actual events of battles that took place).

The setting is the Pacific Theater of Operations, on the island of Ngesebus.... a small island just off the northern coast of Peleliu. During the Battle of Peleliu, which transpired between September 15, 1944 – November 27, 1944, the tiny island of Ngesebus was occupied by many Japanese artillery positions, and was the site of an airfield still under construction.

This scenario takes place roughly four months prior, with a combined ops mission made up of special units made up of US Marines and US Army Infantry. Their mission is to destroy communications operations between the two islands; destroy artillery emplacement construction under progress; and get out alive!

The mission takes place in two waves...the 1st starting at 2am with a sub-drop, and the American units making their way on to the beach, hiding their rafts, and working their way to the radio hut targets. A second wave will come in at dawn, to destroy the artillery emplacement construction. Their may be a tertiary objective of spying on the airfield under construction....if employed in the scenario, units would have to work their way to the extreme northern board hexes and stay there for say two turns.

The scenario will employ many Special Scenario Rules (SSR) to allow the Allied players a LOT of latitude to do nasty stuff! I mean, they're special units, right!?!

So first up was to come up with the scenario, and I decided to make my first ever scenario card!!! The back will have the SSRs and other info.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The making of Operation Nightwind

Postby Whiterook » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:04 am

Ran into some problems with the scenario platform: I used my Mac, with its Pages app and all hell broke loose after two nights of carving out counter images; text editing, etc.....only to realize late last night that the app was placing formatting anchors all over the frakkin' place!!!! I went to start page 2 for the SSRs and couldn't move down a page! :shock:

Tried a page break and Hades erupted....everything smooshed to the bottom of the page; UNDO didn't work; and worse, closing without saving actually SAVED IT (must be a Mac/Pages thing). :(

So, I restarted a new document, this time making sure to create tow other pages (just in case) and copy/pasting what I could salvage.

This morning, I opened the document and it looks good, but those damned formatting anchors were still there. Made me nervous.

So, being the brave little camper I am, I opened up the Ap Store and found Publisher Plus Lite..... Kinda like Microsoft Publisher, but with nowhere near the fancy bells and whistles. But still, it was the basics, so I thought I'd give it a try today. Worked a peach!!! :D

I recreated the scenario card, also using Mac's Grab app to send images to my desktop, to then copy into the Publisher Plus. Lite app. It worked so well, I created a template, which I can use on future scenarios!!!
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Return to “Operations Unit”