Hell's Highway scenario development

Scenario Development R&D, Discussion, and Advice

Moderators: 50th, josta59

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Hell's Highway scenario development

Postby 50th » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:35 am

Well, I'm working on a new scenario for my Tide of Iron game, Hell's Highway. This is the 82nd Airborne attempt to take the bridges of Son and Eindhoven. Here is a pic of the first set up and run through:

IMG_3559.JPG
Hell's Highway

The Germans have 88mm anti-tank guns near the bridge that they fired at the advancing airborne troops. I don't have "official" TOI miniatures for these, so I use some I ordered from a miniature board game company;

IMG_3563.JPG
AT Position

The bridge they absolutely must take is the one closest to you, it's the one that leads to where you want to go and can handle the traffic. It is set to blow up (charge marker on bridges), but if the engineering unit can reach the bridge with an move and fire order, they can remove the charge marker (instead of firing weapons). This is the action at the close of the first round;

IMG_3568.JPG
Close of round 1

These pictures are bigger than they appear. Next time I will have to remember to re-size my photos.

I have made some changes already, and will post again after implementing my changes.
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

josta59

Re: Hell's Highway scenario development

Postby josta59 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:52 pm

Sounds exciting!
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Hell's Highway scenario development

Postby 50th » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:55 pm

I have now played it again. In my original scenario I wrote for Allied reinforcements, but forgot about them. I almost lost, but didn't need the reinforcements to win. This time, I moved the reinforcements until just before the end (round 6 and 7 or 8 is the last), and still won by the end of the fifth, but by the skin of my teeth. I think it's good where it is.
Here is the whole board (hopefully this works, I made the pic smaller);

IMG_3567 Small.jpg
Later in the game

The Germans have a gun crew in a tower on their side of the bridge (building on corner of map 4A)
(All buildings in this scenario are 2 levels tall, picture taken before I put the AT guns out)

IMG_3559 Mid CO.jpg
German Side of the Board
IMG_3559 Mid CO.jpg (72.16 KiB) Viewed 69 times

I think I am happy with this one and once I've added the wording about all buildings being 2 levels tall, I think I'll include it as an attachment as well.

Hells Highway-Son Bridge.pdf
New Hell's Highway TOI scenario
(307.09 KiB) Downloaded 6 times

As a footnote, You really have to do your research. I came across a map that showed this area of M-G as being assigned to the 82nd Airborne, but more research turned up that it was the 101st Airborne. I had to change my scenario. I first thought it was the 101st, but then changed it to the 82nd. It has been changed back to the "screaming Eagles". Here is a different map showing the two bridges that I used to make my map:

Market-Garden Son 2.jpg
M-G Hell's Highway
Market-Garden Son 2.jpg (18.9 KiB) Viewed 67 times
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Return to “Operations Unit”