TOI: Kursk Northern Salient

Scenario Development R&D, Discussion, and Advice

Moderators: 50th, josta59

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

TOI: Kursk Northern Salient

Postby 50th » Tue May 30, 2017 3:59 pm

I had said in a previous post how I had designed a Memoir 44 scenario on this battle. Now I have been working on a Tide of Iron version. It's a little harder (also easier) because you don't have terrain elements like railroad tracks, like you do in Memoir. So here is the set up so far:

The very large building in the middle is supposed to be the railroad station, even though there are no railroad tracks. I am going to re-work this map a little to make it a little easier for Germans to move their vehicles (even though they have engineers) to the middle and move South towards Kursk (right side of this picture). In my first play through, the Germans were doing quite well until I remembered my increased T34 Firepower card that I had forgotten. It gives the T34 tanks another three dice when attacking armor (could have used that early on, but didn't see it until second or third round). On the fourth round, Partisan troops (in green) joined the fight (due to a card) at the Southern end of the board (right side of picture);

By the end of round 6, the Russians had taken all their objectives:

I included two Panther tanks, after our discussion about them in this battle, I might replace one with a Panzer IV. I have changed the map slightly since this play through. I will post more pics as I do play through #2 later in the week.
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: TOI: Kursk Northern Salient

Postby 50th » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:40 pm

Well, I reworked the map a little and reworked the composition of the German forces a little and this is the second play through of the scenario:

This time the Russians won by the end of the third turn! Although they didn't take all three objectives, they took two and destroyed all of the German units. So, I'm back to the drawing board trying to give the Germans a little more umph, without destroying the Soviet superiority that they had in this battle. But if it's too hard for the German forces to win, who would want to play the Germans? I will figure out a way. See my article on scenario balance in a historical scenario.
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Return to “Operations Unit”