jostalog

Journal Area to Record Your Personal Story

Moderator: Whiterook

josta59

jostalog

Postby josta59 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:33 pm

I've posted on this site so much over the last few years that there's not much I can say that will be new. So I think I'll use this thread to talk about my current campaign, and when it's over, I'll continue with current thoughts, plans, and deeds. Right now it's my Cold War gone hot campaign, using homebrewed rules called Able Archer along with the scenarios from Lock 'n Load's Heroes of the Gap.

How nice to be back in 1985 again. Everyone's saying We Are the World, but at the same time, Everybody Wants to Rule the World. Ah, well. You get your money for nothin' and your chicks for free.

Speaking of wanting to rule the world, how about these Russians? I didn't really think they'd do it. Never thought they'd cross NATO's mark in the sand. But here we are now, defending the border between the Germanies from Soviet invaders, including choppers and endless phalanxes of heavy tanks. It's my job to keep the area north of Fulda clear for as long as possible.

So far my tiny band of men has managed to keep out a whole mess of soldiers the Russkies dropped near the village of Hemmen. They wanted that bridge over the Fulda really bad. I lost some good men, but that bridge still belongs to the West. Team Yankee just joined us with tanks and artillery, and they've begun a counterattack about a mile to our south.

Won't be easy for Team Yankee to take a hill and clear out another little town, a place called Lüdermünd, with just three Abrams, a few ACAVs, and a handful of anti-tank launchers. SIGINT indicates the force they're attacking is roughly the same size, but they have the advantage of cover and lots of places to hide. Plus bigger guns. What they don't know is, our side has a Warthog patrolling the area, and if we're lucky we'll be able to get it over here to clear off that hill for us. Yo, Joe.

M1A1_Twin_Bridges_training_area_2C_Republic_of_Korea_1-23_Infantry.jpg
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: jostalog

Postby Frank » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:12 am

Great start :D
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:16 pm

Love the name of the log!

And I echo Frank's comment!!!!!

I had already liked the LNL Heroes of the Gap system to begin with.... But what I really admire is your taking it to another level (a kindred appeal with other systems). I think most well-developed game systems can benefit from such tweaking, if not all out re-engineering. I am following this endeavor with great interest!
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

josta59

Postby josta59 » Wed May 25, 2016 11:48 am

Well hello again. My Able Archer/Heroes of the Gap campaign was fun for four scenarios, and then I got a bit burned out and quit gaming for a month or so until Em managed to pull me back in. And I appreciate it.

Thanks to Em, I have a renewed interest in board gaming, something I haven't done in quite a while. I'm enjoying both the Lock n' Load games I'm playing with him. And it got me thinking about different scales, and somehow this morning I started thinking about the really small scale games again.

And you know I can never think of things in a normal way, so I thought what if I played the basic rules of that game Firepower I used to love so much, but without hexes? Because I'm always thinking in such ways. I played a lot of man-to-man scale miniatures games a couple of years ago using the Two Hour Wargames rules, but I got absolutely sick of them.

What I got sick of with Firepower prior to that was the complexity and needing to know every detail of what every man on the board was doing. Actually, that's kind of important at that scale, but I got tired of it and was drawn to the simpler system of THW. But the basic Firepower rules aren't so bad, and if you just convert hexes to inches you can use them on any map or gaming surface.

The interesting thing about Firepower is the mixed sequencing of impulse phases. Each player gets a number of chits in a cup, according to how experienced his platoon is (actually both sides are equal in the basic rules, but this is an advanced rule I'd want to use). You draw to see which player goes next, and that player chooses two soldiers who can do a certain number of things in that impulse phase. Then you draw again, and you never know which side will be acting next.

It's also kind of a weird game because if you have whole platoons, neither player gets enough chits for all of his soldiers to act in a turn. So you have lots of guys doing nothing for a while, and often you'll see soldiers doing nothing for a long time. The game was designed that way on purpose, since supposedly that's actually realistic. And it makes players think really hard about how to win the scenario.

Man, Lucky Luke would toast my ass every time I played against him. It's a hard game.

The one aspect that would be tough to keep when going hexless will be soldier facing, which is one of the things that is tracked closely in Firepower and would be hard to replicate without hexes. But I hated that part of Firepower anyway. I might just incorporate the THW facing rules, which just draw a line through the soldier to distinguish front from rear. I'd probably ignore stacking, too.

Don't know if I'll actually try this, but it's fun to think about. Even at just four pages, the basic Firepower rules are very dense and a chore to read.

Speaking of dense rules, I still want to play SPI's Central Front games eventually, but oh man those are hard for me to grasp. And I've been gaming for a few years now.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

josta59

Postby josta59 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:16 am

Thanks to Em for reminding me I have a log...

I've been posting a lot this week but can now put some thoughts together in one place. Not sure what spurred this sudden gaming bug I've caught, but I'm enjoying it.

Actually, I think I do know. I saw a promo for the cartoon Adventure Time in which they were playing a game called Card Wars (I've since found out this game actually exists). And I don't know, it got me interested in collectible card games (which I'd never played), and I started looking into it.

I started playing my first CCG on an Android app called Eredan Arena, and it's a blast. I totally get the popularity of these games.

But I still wanted something I could play at a table with other people, so I spent way too much time going through WarpSpawn's games again (I've spent so much time at that site the last few years). And a 2010 game by Lloyd Krassner based on the movie Heavy Metal (which was based on Heavy Metal magazine; I've never seen it) that probably no one has ever played looked like the perfect game.

And then I realized that my kids and I can add cards to this game (called Heavy Metal Heroes) and make our own decks, so we'll have our own CCG! I bought 200 blank cards and started writing on them last night. My five-year-old twin girls are pretty excited about it and ask me about my progress about twice a day. They can't wait to draw on the cards after I write on them.

I did actually play a solo wargame based in a Colombian port a few weeks ago, using the Able Archer rules, but it kind of flopped because I forgot a lot of rules and then allowed my platoon to get pinned down and ran out of time, when I should've had them go for the goal despite the heavy fire. I might try that scenario again some time.

But then I actually bought some miniatures rules yesterday, which is crazy because I never buy anything game-related. But Nordic Weasel's games went on sale yesterday, so I finally bought FiveCore Company Command. It looks awesome and includes plenty of goodies. I've been getting a little bogged down with Able Archer, so if 5CCC turns out to be a little easier I may use it to continue my Heroes of the Gap miniatures campaign.

I'm enjoying being the GM for this arcade game experiment I'm doing with Em using my Firepower miniatures rules...almost feels like I'm playing the game with him. But my big hope now is that 5CCC is going to be awesome for miniatures games we can play on virtual tables here on the forum. Maybe I can get some of you guys excited, since it's a very established rule set that people actually pay for.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:08 pm

Great to see (hear) the excitement in your voice (words)..... Wargaming is a lot like modeling; and maybe most hobbies, from what I've seen and experienced: Ebbs and flows. Sometimes we need a little kickstart, and those kickstarts can come from the most unexpected sources. Things like a CCG's popping up out of nowhere and capturing our imagination is what makes hobbies so exciting!

I'd never heard of 5CCC, but looking at a couple references and the site you mention (and where it lead me) showed me what seems to be a rather solid game (I say rather, simply because I no nothing about the actual systems....but I did note it is very flexible....skirmish and company....and many eras possible. Cool stuff!

I'm glad you have this log, my friend.....I like seeing where your inspirations come from, as I am sure we all do!

josta59

Postby josta59 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:58 am

Well, the original FiveCore rules were for skirmish, but they weren't included with the company rules. I have a quick-start page for skirmish and kind of wish I had the rest. At least I have my Firepower miniatures rules for skirmish, which I'm enjoying.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:34 am

josta59 wrote:Well, the original FiveCore rules were for skirmish, but they weren't included with the company rules. I have a quick-start page for skirmish and kind of wish I had the rest. At least I have my Firepower miniatures rules for skirmish, which I'm enjoying.

Interesting..... so which version did you buy? Was it the 1st edition skirmish, or a company-level?

I'm heading over to take a closer look. I'm starting to get that prickly feeling on back of my neck, with wondering if you just gave me THE answer (in rules) I've been looking for, for so many years, for a couple different miniatures games I've want to play 8-)

josta59

Postby josta59 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:40 am

I got FiveCore Company Command. Looks pretty great. It was inspired by Two Hour Wargames, which you know how much I loved, but FiveCore seems to strike a nice balance between the THW style and more traditional wargames while keeping play fast and simple. But I haven't actually tried it yet, so we'll see. I've read the whole book.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:24 pm

Your enthusiasm for this system inspired me to invest in it....and I highly recommend it to members here, as something to check out. I've barely scratched the surface with reading the system but, so far, I love what I see!

Return to “Captain's Log”