Journal Area to Record Your Personal Story

Moderator: Whiterook

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Emery's Log

Postby Whiterook » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:43 pm

And so it begins! The Purge.

I am taking the weekend to really have an honest look at the wargame stash in the Man Bunker :shock:

YUP...I said it!

Part of my promise to myself for 2017, in my improve my life plan, is a downsizing of what I own and simplification of my life. Included in that is a look at what wargames (and other games) I own that: 1. I don't play; 2. I likely won't play in the near or distant future; and 3. I likely will never play.

Part of what many of you may deem, a sudden onset of madness on my part, is actually an honest to goodness heart-to-heart with myself that if I am not going to play these, someone should.

This....have no doubt....is both scary and painful.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:29 pm

I had to do that when we moved back in July last summer. Now I find myself wondering "where is this game or that game", then have to answer myself, "oh yeah, now I remember". (I know, my wife says it takes so long for me to make a decision because I have to have a conference with the two hemispheres of my brain! Might be some truth to that!). I took some of my games to a re-sale it shop. I had to make some tough decisions on what I keep and what I get rid of. I made my decision based on the question, "have I played this within the last four years?" Sadly, Luftwaffe was one of those that didn't make the final cut. It was the first wargame I played, but couldn't see keeping it just for sentimental value. Someone else can enjoy it more. I also sold, at our garage sale, a Star Wars Episode One chess game, and my Axis and Allies 1941 board game (but I kept the original board game). It's hard to turn lose of games, but it helps you make room for more expansions to games you already have!
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:56 pm

50th wrote:I know, my wife says it takes so long for me to make a decision because I have to have a conference with the two hemispheres of my brain!

Oh dude...that is classic!!! :D

yeah, I hear you on the emotional ties. One of the games I'm getting rid of is Fortress Europa....it was the third wargame I ever bought. The fact that I remember it was the third tells you, it has an emotional memory for me. I'm also getting rid of Pacific War...one of the early Monster games....as in, huge scale...and I feel like I am giving up a treasure; yet it won't play solitaire, and no one around here want to play monster games. I'm also giving up my original edition Axis & Allies....I just never play it (last tome was with friends almost 5 years ago).

It's tough, man.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:32 pm

So, I have been sucked into the world of Advanced Squad Leader in a big way. In truth, I'd been trying since about (maybe) two decades ago :lol: ....but the Starter Kit for Infantry was what finally set the hook.

This was probably just as much to do with my past and current preference for WWII games in the vein of Lock 'N Load and Avalanche Press, actually. If you are familiar with Lock 'N Load 'Heroes of Normandy' (formerly, 'Band of Heroes'), and the Avalanche Press 'Panzergrenadier' systems, and can play those rules sets...then you're not that far away from ASL Starter Kits. I'm surprised the ASL and Multiman Publishing crowds haven't figured this out, and drawn in LNL and AH fans....they are really missing the boat on that one, IMHO! :shock:

ASLSK is really the next step in the chain for me, personally. I still plan to play LNL and AH for decades to come; but, I will also be furthering my learning and playing of ASL, to expand into the full blown rules and Historical modules.

I'm very excited about this development!!! :D

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:50 pm

My wrist injury really put the hurt to my wargaming, and I haven't touched a game in weeks. Now that things are on the mend, I think I'll be able to dabble a bit tomorrow over the 4th of July holiday day, before jumping back to work Wednesday.

I've had a buddy from where I used to work, contact me to ask if I'd like to get a regular gaming night in a couple times a month or more, which is very exciting. Though I think he may want to play a broad range of games, I'd really like to concentrate on ASL and lock 'N Load. We'll see...

I have a few LNLT home-grown scenarios I want to playtest so, this may be a perfect opportunity of he's game!

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:55 pm

On another front, I've been re-engaging with art again It's been a horribly long hiatus, so this is a great thing on my near horizon. I've several subjects I want too work on but the one on deck is a labster shack way up in Maine, near Bar Harbor. It's a beautiful part of the country, and east coast. I may get a chance to start laying it out tomorrow, and really get into it after a brief business trip....the plan is to have ot completed by end of July. Right now, I'd be happy with a fnished work a month; and really up my sketching...

I belong to a sketching group, called "The Sketching Cartel", that I'd met on MeetUp. That, and getting out there plein aire is a definite summer goal.

Return to “Captain's Log”