Die Con XII, a GM's Review

After Action Reports of Conventions Attended

Moderator: Frizzenspark

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Die Con XII, a GM's Review

Postby 50th » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:41 am

Die Con is a highly organized event. Games are set for different sessions, and when you register for the con, you get a booklet of all the games of the con.
The book is divided up in sections that are types of games. Board games, Miniature games, Card games, RPG and RPGA games. You then pick the games you want to play that day, and fill out a card with the numbers of the games you want. The numbers are the session number, room number, and table number. You show the game registration personnel the card, and they put a sticker in the space on the last page of your book, for that session that shows you are registered to play that game.

I ran two games, Memoir 44 Bloody Omaha Overlord, and Battletech Train Robbery! I played a Pirate ship game with Letters of Marque rules, a Star Trek game with Full Thrust rules, a Star Wars game with Silent Death rules, and Settlers of Catan.

This is the Bloody Omaha Overlord scenario:

This is my Battletech Train Robbery scenario: (the wheeled vehicle is the "train")

Here is the Star Trek game:

Here is the Star Wars game with Silent Death rules (modified):
(That was quite a furball!)

Here is a picture of the pirate ship game with the "Letters of Marque" rules (available on BGG.com):

I haven't posted a picture of the settlers game, I'm sure those interested have seen the settlers of Catan games.
This is always been a great convention, I've only missed the first and seventh (7th because of a hip surgery). My friend OJ is staff and works at game registration. Three of the people who work the con are family (Father, Mother and Daughter). I've only seen unruly conduct by a attendee once. Last year I was playing a game of "Sticks and Stones", where you have to grunt like a cave man. John, who is the Father and runs the con puts this game on. It is a part miniature game and part role playing. Some guy from the RPG area came over and said he was mad at all the grunting and flipped the playing surface up. He did it to the wrong GM and was promptly thrown out of the con!
(if you want a pic of the sticks and stones game, I could post one)
Last edited by 50th on Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: clear up and typo
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

TRDG
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Re: Die Con XII, a GM's Review

Postby TRDG » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:22 am

Looks great 50th, had some fun there I bet, how many people were there all in all this year, more than other years? Then were a lot of people playing FoW, how were the tables for that, any pics perhaps?

Cheers

Tom

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:32 am

There was, I believe, one table for FOW. There was also a dealer selling FOW stuff. Below is a picture of some of the tanks in the game, Russian I believe:

There was over 300 people there, I haven't checked the web site yet to get any stats. Yes, I had a load of fun, and played some games I hadn't played before. I also played Eminent Domain, 7 Wonders, Settlers of Catan, and a new variation of Clue.
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:02 pm

Fantastic stuff...great pics! Thanks! The pirate game looks especially cool but, the space battles had my attention. As you know, I am a tad immersed into that genre right now. :D
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:02 am

Whiterook wrote:Fantastic stuff...great pics! Thanks! The pirate game looks especially cool but, the space battles had my attention. As you know, I am a tad immersed into that genre right now. :D

That Star Wars star map was a transparent plastic sheet with white dot hexes over a cloth background. I don't know where you could get these materials, but it really made a cool effect!

TRDG
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby TRDG » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:16 pm

One of these days we will get ya to play a FoW game, perhaps next time you are there.

Cheers

Tom

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:17 am

I would take you up on that Tom! I don't think I've ever met a war game I didn't like, or war gamer!

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:09 pm

Sounds like you had a good time. Pics look good.

Frank
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:07 pm

50th wrote:
Whiterook wrote:Fantastic stuff...great pics! Thanks! The pirate game looks especially cool but, the space battles had my attention. As you know, I am a tad immersed into that genre right now. :D

That Star Wars star map was a transparent plastic sheet with white dot hexes over a cloth background. I don't know where you could get these materials, but it really made a cool effect!

Was it cloth or felt? There's a company called Hotz Artworks, also known ans Hotz Mats that sells great airbrushed and screenprinted maps....http://www.hotzmats.com/

I just ordered a starmap from them, in fact!!!
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

TRDG
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby TRDG » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:12 am

50th wrote:I would take you up on that Tom! I don't think I've ever met a war game I didn't like, or war gamer!

Sounds good sir, sounds good, I think when you do it will feel quite different than other games you have played.

Cheers

Tom

Return to “CON AAR's”