Die Con XI

After Action Reports of Conventions Attended

Moderator: Frizzenspark

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Die Con XI

Postby 50th » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:36 am

Well the big day is upon me! I am packed and waiting for my friend to pick me up. We will then make the 60 mile journey to St Louis to pick up two more friends, and then off to Collinsville Illinois at the Gateway convention center! Today I have nothing scheduled for today, but to play a few of the 300+ games scheduled for the weekend. Then Tomorrow I GM Star Trek, then Sunday, I co-GM Settlers of Catan and later, the Memoir 44 overlord scenario of Operation Lightfoot. I have packed my camera and an extra set of batteries. I will post plenty of pics when I get back. I'm as giddy as a kid on the last day of school!
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

TRDG
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Re: Die Con XI

Postby TRDG » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:16 am

Hope you have a great time, wish I was going with ya bud!!!

Cheers, YES, TONS of pics please and as many (new and old) game reviews as possible from what you see and play.

Good luck with the games you run and play!!

Tom

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:03 pm

I had a great time! Here are the pictures of the M44 scenario I played.

Left flank:

Center flank:

Right flank:

The Axis & Allies 1942 game I bought at the Con and played a "pick up" game:
I lost as the Axis, even though we didn't play long enough to finish the game.

The Star Trek game I played:
You can barely see the grey planet on the extreme left. The white globe is it's moon. The green construction is a Romulan X-3 outpost. The objective was to take the Federation fleet to the planet to rescue Federation citizens siezed by Romulan pirates. The outpost was to be addressed so that one of the battleships could get close enough to the planet to beam the personnel aboard. There were also Romulan ships cloaked in the asteroid field that uncloaked to fire. Two of the ships, for whatever reason, never de-cloaked.

Here is a Napoleonic game I saw being played. (not my cup of tea)
There was one incident that showed that there are indeed "jerks" who are gamers.
On Sunday, my friend and I played a cave man game where you cannot talk, except with grunts. You move your cave-man figures around the playing surface, and grunt and point to the one you want to attack. Attacks are resolved with "rock, spear, leaf" actions (like rock, paper, sissors). A guy came up to the table and asked, "Is this that game where everybody grunts?". We answered him with a grunt, he then proceeded to flip up the playing surface and scatter the figures and terrain all over the table. He left in a hurry. He didn't know that the game master is the guy who runs the convention. Needless to say, he was sent packing. Here is a picture of that game before it was disrupted:

We did put everything back, and continued playing, once John (the GM) got back.
I'll post AAR's in the proper spot tomorrow or later.
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:30 pm

By the way, I talked to the #2 man in charge (not sure if he has an "official" title) and he said that next year, they intend to have more demos by the game company reps, including Flames of War! Below is a pic of a Flames of War game at another convention called "Archon" that is more Sci-Fic, but also gaming:

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun May 27, 2012 11:48 am

That's some fantastic action going on there!!! The Star Trek game...are those paper miniatures?
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Mon May 28, 2012 7:36 am

Whiterook wrote:That's some fantastic action going on there!!! The Star Trek game...are those paper miniatures?

They are from the Star Wars constructable game. You punch them out of cards and put them together- like the pirate ships, only space ships!

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon May 28, 2012 9:40 am

Very cool....I've seen those pirate games; quite spectacular with big fleets on an 8 foot plat surface! I would imagine card stock ships makes for low overhead for the game company. That's fine with me, as it means better chances for more game systems out there. I would imagine you could substitute out the card stock ships for miniatures.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Return to “CON AAR's”