2016 Nor'easter XX

After Action Reports of Conventions Attended

Moderator: Frizzenspark

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

2016 Nor'easter XX

Postby Whiterook » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:08 pm

The YankeeASL boys hosted another wildly successful Nor'easter ASL Tournament, celebrating their 20th anniversary in grand style. With 52 ALSers converging outside of Boston for a 3-1/2 day event of WWII wargaming, the gaming started in the early morning hours and continued late into the night throughout the weekend.

image.png
YankeeASL Nor'easter XX Logo

For me....it was the first ASL tournament I have ever been too, and the first time I ever played the game!!! :o :shock:

...yup....lost every scenario I played in :lol:

...but I learned a LOT!

Up to this point, I'd only read the ASL Starter Kit #1 rules (for basic, dumbed-down infantry ops). I did play a couple scenarios of SK1 at this Nor'easter, which was a blast, and those scenarios were by far the more *comfortable* games played. But I also played tournament scenarios, which were FAR ABOVE my paygrade, and it near fried my brain. Honestly, between 5-6 hours straight play per scenario, with full ASL Rulebook rules thrown in was ambitious, and at times painful. But it was very much trial by fire, but... that's often the best way to learn. I did retreat to my hotel room a couple times, for sustenance, and had to talk myself into going back into the Meat Grinder.

I really do think it's imperative for a new ASLer to get out to these things, as learning in face-to-face play is the only real way to learn effectively. Fortunately for me, all but one opponent were amazingly gracious and understanding, coaching me to the extent they could in competition; with only one being...well....a dick. There's always one, am I right? I think he took one too many to the helmet.

Outside of the tournament scenario playings, my opponents walked me through the twists and turns of the ASL system with care and encouragement. They really were amazing. This is what it's all about for me....ASL is at its core, a very tight knot community. What makes them unique however, is it's a welcoming community. Looking back, I wish I'd mingled more and introduced myself to more guys, but when in the game rooms, I was swimming for all I was worth!

In this regard, it was a very humbling experience. I've been a Wargamer for many, many years. I like to think I have a pretty high degree of experience and chops at play. This 'Newb' experience showed me what it felt like back in the 1970's!

On a tournament level, I was way out of my depth and extremely uncomfortable in play. In hindsight, if I had a do-over, I'd skip the tournaments entirely and just try and get in pickup games and watching. There were a few other newbies present and I'm not sure how they felt; though one of them was clearly NOT a newbie by the true sense....he may never have played the game but he knew that frickin' full RB down pretty pat! (...it was beyond annoying, actually).

So in summation:

I am glad I went :D I also realize I have a LONG way to go to get proficient enough to qualify as a Sucky Player :o I should be *good* at play sometime in 2020 :lol:

This was my most enjoyable game....an ASL Starter Kit #1 scenario (I believe, "Taking Vierville?")....

image.jpeg

....my opponent was on the other side of the table. This was during a quick latrine break :lol: The guy I played was my favorite opponent (Larry Flaherty). I want to be him when I ASLer-grow-up! An excellent coach, and very patient. He broke out a bottle of EXCELLENT whisky at 8PM and offered me some, but alas I was still on flu meds.

image.jpeg

I wish I took more pictures of the games I played in but frankly, I was too busy trying to stop the bleeding! :lol:

My least favorite scenario was just adding way too many full system rulesin the mix. It was BRUTAL. B.R.U.T.A.L. Urban warfare as the Americans, with the city just absolutely sacked....rubble and she'll holes everywhere, choke points all along my route from one end of the board to the other, with snipers and hidden German units that popped up at killer locations. To even stand a chance, I had to doubletime my ass off, but every route was covered by withering machinegun nests and bad-assed Germans with everything from panzerscheks to demolition charges being dumped on me. I considered it a small victory to use my snipers better and clear one of many victory buildings :lol:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

...that's my custom wood ASL DiceTower!!! :D
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 2016 Nor'easter XX

Postby Whiterook » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:22 pm

Some pics from the tournament.....

image.jpeg