TASSO-CON 2015

After Action Reports of Conventions Attended

Moderator: Frizzenspark

Lucky Luke

TASSO-CON 2015

Postby Lucky Luke » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:02 am

tasso banner.jpg
The homemade banner

Last weekend I attended to a local convention called “Tasso-Con” (after a nearby valley there near Verona, in the Northern Italy).
tasso view 3.jpg
The valley covered with vineyards

The atmosphere was very relaxed and I had a good time…

I played a lot of games with old and new friends; the best way to spend some quality time !!

Friday I had a try at Quartermaster General, a strategic card-driven game but I didn’t like it very much,even if myself conquered the west coast of U.S. with my unstoppable Japanese Army…speak about lucky card draws !

Warfighter, on the other hand, puts you in the middle of a special forces operation from the equipping to the end of the operation.
I with other 3 players played a mission deep in a Middle East area full of insurgents and the things didn’t go very well…the last turns (before we quit the game) were played with frantic and unsuccessful actions trying to break contact with a board full of hostile card, but to no avail.
We were beaten to a pulp but the system works very well !
tasso warfig.jpg
The expression on the face of the mission leader speaks for itself !

After that a refreshing trip in the universe of Chrononauts, a game on time meddling and tweaking history: an epic fight to restore history and return “home” (okay the home Timeline) first !
tasso chrono.jpg
a video cassette? This game shows a little its age... ;)

To end the evening with an easy task we have a race with Rush & Bush, a race game very like to a video game race, with power-ups , missiles,bombs, rocks in the middle of the track and a lot of bumping between the cars…

Saturday I played Homeland, from the TV series and win as a very bad guy, exploiting the terrorist threat to my personal agenda.

In the evening first I played Shadow over Camelot, battling with other knights the evil forces on the outside of the Castle and a traitor between us, then a tense game at Room 25, a wicked future reality show in which 5 people must search the exit room in an ever-changing maze, but 2 of them are security personnel in disguise, their hidden objective is to hinder the good guys...

Sunday a game of Wing Leader, a recent acquisition, I have the task to defend two squadrons of Ki-21 “Sally” Japanese bombers with my trusty Ki-43 “Oscar” (1 squadron and a flight) vs. two flights and a squadron of American P-40. I manage to “bounce” (attack unspotted by the enemy) with my flight an enemy flight inflicting a loss but both formation broken up during the combat and returned at home( the system doesn’t allow to fight a formation without cohesion). The Ki-43 squadron bounced the US squadron, downed some P-40s and tried to force a dogfight; the US player used the superior speed of the P-40 to pursuit the bombers while the remaining US flight starting to make hit and run attacks on the bombers.
As any war movie, the climax was a big furball around the bombers…at the end only the US flight didn’t broke formation (the other two, American and Japanese were exausted and returned to base). It continued to harass the bombers, taking and inflicting some losses. At the end it had to break combat due to ammo shortage and losses. The Victory points total reported a draw within 1 point from a Japanese victory…good game!

The parting shot game was a fun game at Frag, a tabletop version of a FPS, a cross between Doom,Unreal and other multiplayer videogames…a truckload of missiles, shots, heavy autocannon, exploding barrels and a lot of other weapons. You control one or more combatants moving on a map like a videogame deadmatch one with walls, pool of acid, and weapons / gadgets / power-up areas…

Then the sad moment of farewell from the Tasso-Con bunch and a three hour trip by train back to Rome…and now it's time of sharing with my MWF friends!

Some non-gaming detail: the Convention is based at an agritourism where the management leave all the structure to us; we pay only for the rooms but the food, beverage and etc. is organized by the partecipants. A couple of friends from Rome brought a whole “porchetta” who was enjoyed during the Convention on a “Suit yourself” policy.
tasso kitchen.jpg
the self-service kitchen

Saturday dinner was a joyful break from gaming to prepare and serve a tasty “pasta alla matriciana” (over 7 lbs of pasta!!!) for all the players.

if you are interested to know more:
Porchetta: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porchetta
Matriciana: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amatriciana_sauce
V6!

Luca

"I'd rather be lucky than good any day."

josta59

Re: TASSO-CON 2015

Postby josta59 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:29 pm

Man, that sounds fun. Thanks for sharing.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Lucky Luke

Re: TASSO-CON 2015

Postby Lucky Luke » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:34 am

josta59 wrote:Man, that sounds fun. Thanks for sharing.

Yes Scott, it was a crossover between a fraternity party and a playtesting room... Gaming like there's no tomorrow!!!!
V6!

Luca

"I'd rather be lucky than good any day."

Return to “CON AAR's”