De bello ludico - the gathering

After Action Reports of Conventions Attended

Moderator: Frizzenspark

Lucky Luke

De bello ludico - the gathering

Postby Lucky Luke » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:09 pm

The 29 of March I'll attend a gaming event organized in Cerveteri,near Rome. A very nice fellow is behind this event and I already Know the other gamers called in.
For now we agreeded to play a GUNSLINGER showdown and will be a demo of Wings of war/Sail of glory with their author, Andrea Angiolino, a bright gamer, journalist and game designer.

As usual I'll bring some neat games to cover a lot of ruleset styles and themes.
The first old Yaquinto game I would like to play again after so many years of deep sleep is the French Foreign Legion, a game in which one player takes the role of a Legion commander in charge of defending a lonely outpost in the middle of a scorched desert. Obviously the other player takes the control of some Arab tribes and assault the outpost.
The game is a grandfather to the Close assault/firepower system and have a chit-driven initiative system but a simple set of rules to move an fight.
The attackers have some rope to climb the walls but the defenders are in a well protected position and they will fire with less adverse modifiers at the attackers.
For every defender there are two attackers and the Arab player is willing to accept heavy losses to approach the walls and try to storm the parapet and bring the fight inside the fort.
A fun and quite fast game.
I hope to find some use for my copy of Firepower…you’ll never know!
Outside the war games field, I’ll bring Battlestar Galactica to see if the Cylons will have another chance to prevail over the puny humans or if the heroically men and women of the Galactica will arrive to their destination without losing the civvy fleet.
Without any psychological drama is RoboRally, a game of robotic race across a heavy industry complex. Here the only ranged combat is with lasers but the really , deadly enemy is the landscape, full of conveyor belts and other heavy machinery.
The last batch of game will be two card games from Looney Labs, Chronographs and Flux, and a newly acquired storytelling game: Fiasco. For this game I think the best way to describe it is to give you a link to a youtube Tabletop episode about this strange but cool game. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXJxQ0NbFtk

I hope to have some AARs to bring back to you!
V6!

Luca

"I'd rather be lucky than good any day."

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: De bello ludico - the gathering

Postby 50th » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:04 am

Lucky, a close gamer friend of mine has Robo-Rally and I've played it many times. It reminds me of a computer game I once had. In this computer game you programed robots with program cards, and the point was to program your robot to fight prisoners that had escaped from the prison planet the game is set on. In that game you could loop the program cards so that the robot repeated the steps you had programed. But you didn't have lasers, conveyer belts, or holes in the floor to content with. I don't remember the name of that game, it was an old computer game that came with a used DOS computer I bought long ago. I was during the time of Windows 3.0, but my first version of windows was 98. I once had a roommate that had a win95 machine, back in 98.
But I digress, Robo-Rally is a good game, and I think it would be a good game to bring to the forum someday.
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Lucky Luke

Re: De bello ludico - the gathering

Postby Lucky Luke » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:36 pm

You are right, Roborally is a simple game to host..but thee is the card deck to cope with.There are some game servers who have a card deck management utility. Maybe there are other option but I don't know any.
V6!

Luca

"I'd rather be lucky than good any day."

Return to “CON AAR's”