Do you play in a game group?

General Board Wargaming Talk

Moderator: Hagen

Duncan

Re: Do you play in a game group?

Postby Duncan » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:45 pm

Went to my first ASL session in years last week. I'm sure the guys got annoyed at me grabbing my crotch all the time (just got the dressings off a surgery insision the day before). Got in two games and had a lot of fun. Hope to get out there again next week.

Duncan

Postby Duncan » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:43 pm

I think I actually have a PBEM tournament of PanzerBlitz in the works through AHIKS. Fun.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:02 pm

Duncan wrote:Went to my first ASL session in years last week. I'm sure the guys got annoyed at me grabbing my crotch all the time (just got the dressings off a surgery insision the day before). Got in two games and had a lot of fun. Hope to get out there again next week.

Now that is very cool (the game, not the croch scratching :P )....I'm curious, how many players are on each side? If you can snap a quick pic of the next board, that'd be cool!!! Tell us more about the group and the playing experience.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:10 pm

Duncan wrote:I think I actually have a PBEM tournament of PanzerBlitz in the works through AHIKS. Fun.

That's awesome....PanzerBlitz is still one of my favorites! How long does it take to get through a game PBEM?

Actually, I know nothing about PBEM, really.....perhaps at some point, I'd love to see you start a thread in the Drill Instructor section on what they are and how they work. It would help quite a few people (like me) that have wondered.

AHIKS is something I have meant to look int more....for those that don't know what it is, it is the Avalon Hill International Kriegspiel Society, which is an organization of wargamers who play wargames via email, mail, and other formats. They've been around since the '60's.

....how do you like AHIKS?

Double Deuce
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Double Deuce » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:36 am

Duncan wrote:I think I actually have a PBEM tournament of PanzerBlitz in the works through AHIKS. Fun.
I keep checking that site out but haven't joined yet. The play by post air games are very interesting, especially the Air Force/Dauntless one that was run a while ago. Looks like they are running Richthofen's War and Wooden Ships & Iron Men games there at the moment.

Duncan

Postby Duncan » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:11 pm

I like AHIKS. I'm the match coordinator dammit. :) I've belonged for about 20 years. I used to play in the days we used stock quotes to generate random numbers. I haven't played much until this year, maybe one game a year and nothing for the last five. Now I've got four games going (ASL, ASLSK, No Retreat, Up Front) and a two more to come once the PB tournament starts up. https://www.ahiks.com/AHIKS/Home.html Tell 'em Duncan sent you.

I have calculated that with a dedicated group using VASSAL or Email it should take four months for a match (two simultaneous games). There are seven of us so far (I'll cut it off at eight) and the tournament should take two and a half years.

Duncan

Postby Duncan » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:52 pm

Whiterook wrote:
Duncan wrote:Went to my first ASL session in years last week. I'm sure the guys got annoyed at me grabbing my crotch all the time (just got the dressings off a surgery insision the day before). Got in two games and had a lot of fun. Hope to get out there again next week.

Now that is very cool (the game, not the croch scratching :P )....I'm curious, how many players are on each side? If you can snap a quick pic of the next board, that'd be cool!!! Tell us more about the group and the playing experience.
There were four games going. It sounds like four to eight guys show up each week. We let the host know ahead of time because we need an even number. Think I'll go on the 30th. Taking my wife out this Friday.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:27 pm

Duncan wrote:I like AHIKS. I'm the match coordinator dammit. :) I've belonged for about 20 years. I used to play in the days we used stock quotes to generate random numbers. I haven't played much until this year, maybe one game a year and nothing for the last five. Now I've got four games going (ASL, ASLSK, No Retreat, Up Front) and a two more to come once the PB tournament starts up. https://www.ahiks.com/AHIKS/Home.html Tell 'em Duncan sent you.

I have calculated that with a dedicated group using VASSAL or Email it should take four months for a match (two simultaneous games). There are seven of us so far (I'll cut it off at eight) and the tournament should take two and a half years.

I can see the 2-1/2 years, actually. The Axis & Allies Miniatures game I had going as a diorama game took over a year, as I remember. Incidentally....the picture of the panzers in the logo were placed on that very game dio!!!

Weird WWII
Private
Private

Postby Weird WWII » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:41 pm

Use to have a regular gaming crew but since I moved to the gaming wastelands of NE Texas I find myself playing with my wife or kids exclusively.

Brian
You Called Down The Thunder Now Reap The Whirlwind!

TRDG
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby TRDG » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:53 pm

Hi there and welcome to TCG, so when you have a moment would you pop up a thread on the intro forum Brian about yourself please.

I know the feeling, did'nt move but most of my face to face gaming friends moved on with life, but not I! LOL

Cheers, then we can kindly quizz ya on what games your into, we have a small but growing group of diversied gamers here, all games and gamers more than welcome here, and thanks for joining!!

Tom

Return to “Board Wargaming Discussions”