General Board Wargaming Talk

Moderator: Hagen

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Do you play in a game group?

Postby Whiterook » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:23 pm

Do you play in a game group?

I have a group of about 15 guys I can draw from on a given game night. usually, when I make a call out for Guys game Night, I usually have a group of 5 or 6, and play a host of games from primarily WWII to Beer & Pretzels fare. We sit in my Game Room, drink beer, and talk smack. Winter is the best time to get the gang together, as everyone seems to be ore busy with family and community commitments during the Summer...including vactions, etc.

Tell us a little about yours...how often? How many people? Mainly guys, gals, cats? What do you play that works well with a group?
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Chrisd
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Re: Do you play in a game group?

Postby Chrisd » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:18 pm

oh i miss the old group i was in.. we had a set group of about 5 to 8 players sometimes 10 mainly when we got into the strategic games like Battletech or Star Trek and it was fun. but since I moved to where I live now and that was 12 years ago..god it will actually be 13 coming up. As of now i only have my brother or some guys online for Madden or Baseball :( I will probably move to the place where I get my FoW stuff and play with them soon.
Let's do this the old navy way, the 1st one to die LOSES!

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:53 pm

I am lucky, I live in a fairly small town with some quite fanatical gamers. Our group meets every Monday night in the basement of a pub so we have a good excuse for keeping it to a fairly adult membership. We usually have between 8 and 20 people playing a large variety of games, in fact we had been joking for a couple of years about just how many games and last year we decided to see if we could play a different game for every week of the year and made the 52 different systems fairly comfortably by the end of October. At the moment we are in the middle of a Blood Bowl (fantasy American Football) league that I am, as usual, last in. We did start off as a, mainly Games Workshop club but over the years have left that behind, moving on to F.O.W, Un Charted Seas, Malifaux, FreeBooter`s Fate (not tried that one myself yet) and Blitz Krieg Commander. Club nights usually run from 7 till 12 though the last hour is usually spent putting the world to right`s. We have just aquired our first female members with a young lady joining us and a couple of girlfriends joining in with some of the rpg sessions.

Frank
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Hagen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Hagen » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:15 pm

Pretty much solitaire. :(

Double Deuce
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Double Deuce » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:05 pm

Hagen wrote:Pretty much solitaire. :(
I know the feeling. Being as remotely located as I am solitaire is about all I have around here.

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:06 pm

Years ago, when I was heavily into the Star Trek game, I was into a gaming group. That was back in my drinking days. We played and drank, by the end of the evening, the guy whose house we played at would be soused. I always used to set a limit (on the drinking, not on the game play), so I would keep my wits about me. We always had a good time, I miss some of the old gang. Now, I game with a few friends from St Louis (a 60 mile drive) when I can. I usually just play with my friend Mike P. I have thought about posting a sign somewhere looking for war-gamers, but since the game shop closed, don't know where I'd post it.
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Chrisd
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Postby Chrisd » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:50 am

50th was there only just one game shop.. what about a nearby town or city that isn't 60 miles? Have you tried craigslist? Or even just checking around on the forums to find somebody? I met a couple of people local from Madden and MLBtheshow. Even 2 people on anime website. I have noticed that both Hagen and Tom both live in Wisconsin...but not sure if they have even talked to each other about that?

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:20 pm

Yeah, we had one game shop. We have two video game stores, but no board/war-games store. I've been thinking about posting something at one of the video game stores, thinking that maybe others who play video games might play board or war-games (like me). There is one cop in town who I know plays, he has been over before. But he is married and I don't think he gets to play very often. He prefers games like Flames of War, I prefer to keep my games simple (like Memoir, and my own Quick War). There has been a game convention in town three times now, I could post on their website. The con was very small, and mostly video game players, but a few players of dominion were there. I played Memoir with my friend Mike, and tried to interest others, but got no interest. Next time I will try Settlers of Catan / Traders & Barbarians. (although not a war-game)

"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:37 pm

Try posting at the town library....maybe they'd even sponsor a small site if they have it available on premises, for an organized event(s).
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Chrisd
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Postby Chrisd » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:01 am

Good idea Em I was going to be suggesting that to him after I read his response.

Return to “Board Wargaming Discussions”