OST

General Board Wargaming Talk

Moderator: Hagen

Duncan

OST

Postby Duncan » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:01 am

Has anyone played OST yet? I have the Kickstarter set but haven't opened it yet. I am debating OSTII on Kickstarter. How is the first one?

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: OST

Postby Whiterook » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:59 pm

HA.....I feel so much better! My OST is still sitting in the shrink, not opened yet!!! Just too busy.

That said, I did have a look at the VASSAL Mod; and had the draft rules for awhile, which I'd looked through...so with both combined, had a pretty good look at what the game offers, and I like what I see:

It is a bit deceiving in title....and it would appear that I'm not alone in this, as others have made similar comment....in that I at first wondered, "how 'Old school' are you talking/going?" I think Old School in terms of Panzer Blitz, Advanced Third Reich, Fortress Europa, and so many other great titles that played far differently than modern hex & counter Wargaming. Part of me was like, if old school '...that's cool, I like that style'; and another part of me was, if it was a modern take, 'that's cool, I like that style' :lol:

The map art is gorgeous, and looks fun to play on. It's not as *bottle-neckie* as many modern games....great room to maneuver and roam. The counter art to me, is just OK. Reminds me of Avalanche Press's Panzer Grenadier.

The game play brings a mechanic I have come to love: Impulse driven play! :D It's gloriously randomized, so you have to really be smart in how you spend your points, because next go-round you may be at a disadvantage of action capabilities. LOVE IT! Paired with I-go-You-go methodology, I think the game benefits from the tension that causes in not ever knowing if you're going to be able to do all you'd like (or need) to do. I love a game that keeps things fluid from moment to moment, and unless I am misreading the game badly, I think this is where OST will likely excel, and make it a must own.

I di need to dig deeper; actually open the dang thing and play it, but that's my forst impression.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: OST

Postby Whiterook » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:26 pm

I saw the VASSAL Module is up on this game...that's another game we can play here, when I figure it out :D
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Return to “Board Wargaming Discussions”