Played collectible card games?

General Board Wargaming Talk

Moderator: Hagen

josta59

Played collectible card games?

Postby josta59 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:17 pm

Does anyone on this board have experience with collectible/customizable card games (CCGs) like Magic the Gathering or Yu-Gi-Oh? I don't, but I've become interested lately. I'd be interested in your experiences.

I'm planning a new version of the Firepower board game where each fighter has its own stats and is introduced by card draw each turn. Pretty busy, so it'll take me a while.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Played collectible card games?

Postby Frizzenspark » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:13 pm

They're very popular, they often have very interesting artwork, many gaming conventions dedicate plenty of real-estate to collectable events.

The term collectable is a nebulous term... the cards are "collectable" in that they are part of a numbered collection. Many people assign value to the term "collectable". The cards are only worth what you can get a person to pay for them.

Many of the Card manufacturers revise their cards into new series, often rendering previous cards to a lesser value if not altogether obsolete. Similar to the comic book trend a while back where the comic book companies released numerous new titles which all had "first issues" which implied value.There were so many that quite a few were worth less than purchase price.

This is a tactic of viability....continue to evolve or become stagnant and die.

If you find collectable cards enjoyable, then by all means play them. As an investment, you're better off playing the lottery.
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

josta59

Postby josta59 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:16 pm

Thanks Frizz, but what I'm interested in is your individual experience. Got any? How's the gameplay, do you still play, why or why not, etc.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:27 pm

My son played fanatically; I never really played, but donated funds to my kid's collection, that puts me more as a casual observer.
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:00 am

I had the Star Trek The Next Generation CCG that I played some years ago. I had a complete set of the first set of cards released. They came in a metal case and was very cool. I had them in a resale shop about ten years ago and the resale shop closed up without notifying anyone. It was a "pretty cool" game looking back. I also played a Battletech CCG many years ago with a couple of friends that were into Battletech and were getting into CCG.
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

josta59

Postby josta59 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:57 am

Cool, 50th! What did you like about those games? Would you say they're strategically similar to wargames, or is it a totally different experience? Would you play something like that again?

While I've never played one, I keep thinking about the thrill of pulling out a powerful card at just the right moment to shock and/or annihilate my opponent. You usually don't get that experience in a wargame because everything available to you is typically known by and visible to your opponent before the game starts.

So I'm hoping to combine these experiences. I'm sure it's been done (probably more in D&D fantasy-type games than wargames), but I'm not aware of any games like that, so I'm making my own.

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:56 am

There was some strategy to it, but a lot of what you can do depends on what cards you have. I figured out that the guy that can afford the most cards can put together the best deck and usually wins. However you can't foresee everything that might come up in a game and can't use all of your cards, you are limited to how many cards make up your deck, so there is an element of luck, and an element of card organization and handling. I always wanted to try the newer Netrunner I see at the gaming conventions. I don't know if I would want to plunk down money without playing it first. I was going to go to a con last month, but with my move coming up, didn't have the funds to go. Yeah, I'm moving this weekend, (I hate moving, this will be the last move for me! Just when I thought I had my wife convinced that our house wasn't that small, or that one bathroom wasn't that bad.)
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:12 pm

Never played any of them.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:24 pm

I'm with Frank....I never played them, either, but the Babylon 5 one were pretty cool years ago, and I bought some to see what all the fuss was about, but then couldn't find anyone to play with! I think Battlestar Galactica had some too.

I truly don't know if this is a CCG, but check this out....

http://www.dvg.com/.sc/ms/dd/ee/74/Warf ... ack%20%231

image.jpeg
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:53 pm

Sort of in the same zone is a game my adult kids play:

Cards Against Humanity< a very odd game. My daughter buys new packs from time to time

https://cardsagainsthumanity.com

Return to “Board Wargaming Discussions”