Do you concentrate on one game, or play several?

General Board Wargaming Talk

Moderator: Hagen

During a week or month, do you concentrate on one game at a time, or play several?

One at a time
67%
Several
33%

Total votes: 6

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Do you concentrate on one game, or play several?

Postby Whiterook » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:27 pm

I am always a bit in awe, at how some wargamers play several games in the span of a week, couple weeks, or month.

In other words, I for instance generally *play* just one game over the span of several weeks, and sometimes months (usually, months if I'm honest). It's the only game I dig out or bring up on the electronic gizmo, and I don't really stray from it.

Yet, I'll see in forums and Facebook, gamers who move from one game system to another constantly, often within a week; and sometimes in a weekend! :shock:

I admire this multi-system ability....

I'm not sure if maybe my brain is just so clogged with work (...and all the other personal things I have going on, including other hobbies), that I just can't handle more than one system at a stretch. I really can't figure the reason beyond that.

Oddly enough, however.... I do often find myself GMing more than one system at a time, so there's something genuinely weird about that to me.

I want to know about you! Please participate in the poll and then provide some feedback in this thread. The poll will remain open indefinitely.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Duncan

Re: Do you concentrate on one game, or play several?

Postby Duncan » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:54 pm

I play several by email, for half an hour at a time. My face to face play is concentrated on Advanced Squad Leader. I would like to say Blood and Bridges and Panzer as well but we are having scheduling challenges.

Duncan

Postby Duncan » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:56 pm

Current email games are
1. No Retreat! The Russian Front x 2 games
2. Hell's Gate
3. A Distant Plain
4. Advanced Squad Leader

Face to face all I have played since probably November is Advanced Squad Leader, unless you include the non-wargame Firefly. :)

gocamels
Private
Private

Postby gocamels » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:24 am

I generally only play one game at a time, but rarely do they last more than a day or two. The only recent exceptions are a game of Green Berets that I kept sitting out for about 2 weeks, and a VASSAL game of Raid on St. Nazaire I have going now.

Most of my wargaming is olitaire, and I play a scenario and put the game away, most of the time.

My wargaming time has been mostly curtailed the last few weeks, as I'm playtesting 2 games for Victory Point Games - neither of which is strictly a wargame.

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:47 pm

I juggle a few miniatures painting projects at a time; I've been working on Bolt Action and Blackwater Gulch with measurable dedication; I aspire to work on Infinity and 15mm AWI.

We often manage to play boardgames and other parlour games at least every other week.

I work six days a week, so it is difficult to get games in.
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

newtrend

Postby newtrend » Sun May 08, 2016 3:15 am

I am playing mostly Lock and Load, World at War and Nations at War.

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Mon May 09, 2016 6:31 am

The only boardgaming I do is here so I can`t really vote but it is very rare that I stick with one game at a time. It is quite rare for me to play the same game twice unless I am in a campaign like the BA one. As for painting :roll: , at the moment I am working on: BA, Jugula, Saga, Frostgrave and Mordheim.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Wed May 18, 2016 7:52 pm

I was finding it hard to keep the rulebooks separate in my noodle, which was part of the reasoning behind this thread. But since I popped it on here, I currently have five systems going on and am surprisingly retaining much of the nuances. That may be due to my keeping the rulebooks handy and reading them....a lot more reading than I used to....which is keeping them more fresh in mind.

I've been relaxing a lot more lately too :lol: which may also be a huge factor :D

I've spent a lot of time in hospital waiting rooms the past couple months and I've had rulebooks with me, so there's been a lot of concentration to these systems. Perhaps a missing component to this dialogue is simply, a constant review of 3-5 systems and play to really get them down as rote.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Duncan

Postby Duncan » Thu May 19, 2016 8:00 pm

I need to get the basic rules for Panzer organized in my head for next week. Too many rules indeed.

Return to “Board Wargaming Discussions”