What wargame rulebook are you reading?

General Board Wargaming Talk

Moderator: Hagen

Lucky Luke

Re: What wargame rulebook are you reading?

Postby Lucky Luke » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:40 pm

josta59 wrote:
Lucky Luke wrote:But I can say that you know how to wrote one, indeed! I have the pleasure to see a 'Band of Heroes' AAR done by our Em, here in MWF some time ago...

Heroes of the Gap was THE game that led to me joining this forum. I've still never played it because I'm a cheapskate and a loner...I keep hoping Em will break that one out for us eventually.

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
V6!

Luca

"I'd rather be lucky than good any day."

josta59

Postby josta59 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:45 pm

Actually I like to think I'm innovative and a good money saver. You guys may have noticed I'm always having a great time playing some game I spent no money on, and sometimes even coming up with games myself. Money's for food 'n' shelter, and for keeping the wife happy. Oh, and for booze.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Lucky Luke

Postby Lucky Luke » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:53 pm

josta59 wrote:Actually I like to think I'm innovative and a good money saver. You guys may have noticed I'm always having a great time playing some game I spent no money on, and sometimes even coming up with games myself. Money's for food 'n' shelter, and for keeping the wife happy. Oh, and for booze.

Scott, I am half Roman (my mother is from Roma) and half Genoese (my father was from Genoa), and Genoese are known as the best "money saver" in Italy = cheapskates: now I know the English word for that!!!!

But my Roman part is dominant: fun and happy people!!!! :mrgreen:
V6!

Luca

josta59

Postby josta59 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:43 pm

I'm definitely happy, and my wife says I'm fun when I'm liquored up.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Lucky Luke

Postby Lucky Luke » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:44 am

josta59 wrote:I'm definitely happy, and my wife says I'm fun when I'm liquored up.

Well Scott,another shared trait between us ;) ...cool!
V6!

Luca

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:03 pm

Heroes of the Gap, eh??? I think I have a VASSAL Mod for that. Let me check into it :D

I bought the game a short time ago but have not played it yet, nor read the rules.

Right now, I've read the Advanced Squad Leader Starter Kit #1 rules twice, and am just starting to get it a little. I need another run through and some play time before I feel comfortable to drag you lot into some Play-by-PM games.....

My brain started to fry a bit....so, I jumped back into my last ruleset I was trying to re-engage in, LNL Band of Heroes. Mainly 'cause I want to play some Noville battles in December!

I don't know if it's age setting in but, I'm finding rules are too quick to go away if there's a LOT of time that goes by between playing. Memoir '44 is an example....I played the ever living schnitzkies out of that game, but I couldn't pick it up and start playing without going back into the rules in a serious read. It was the same thing for Band of Heroes, which I'd played a few years ago :shock: ...and then, started writing my two miniatures games' rules, and poof....it was almost like I'd never played it! But in this latter example, I can say I'd only played a couple games, so I didn't really have a handle on it in the first place :lol:

.....damn.....did I just sound OOOOOOOOOOLD! :cry:
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:03 pm

I'm reading it....the cool thing about Heroes of the Gap is, this is the V3 rules.

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:22 am

Land of the Free
Wargames Rules for North America 1754–1815
Land of the Free Wargames Rules for North America 1754–1815. Land of the Free is the set of wargaming rules from Osprey that allow players to recreate the various conflicts that broke out in North America shortly prior to and just after Independence, including the French and Indian Wars, the Revolution and the War of 1812.

This set of rules lets players begin their campaigns with small warbands of 10-20 miniatures of any scale and develop their forces over time, building them into armies hundreds strong. A unique system of command points and the need to carefully manage resources or risk becoming vulnerable to counter-attack have to be finely balanced against the need to gain objectives throughout the game, creating a challenging, but enjoyable environment for your armies. http://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/2014/11/northstar-miniatures-land-of-free.html

I have found these rules perhaps the best balance of realism and playability..... I have yet to re-base my minis and get playing.... I have bought more Litko bases, and should have things going after Christmas... Being a Postman this time of year leaves little free time.... I have many almost finished minis from about ten years ago...

This is an Osprey publication..... The author Joe Krone is very reachable. i got mine from Barnes and Noble for about $25.13 plus tax..... the extra thirteen cents put it over the twenty-five limit to get me free shipping. :D Amazon has it cheaper but you have to spend $35 to get free shipping..... :geek:

http://www.landofthefreewargaming.blogspot.com/
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:26 pm

That looks very cool, D-man. I've wondered on Osprey games and I guess I assume the rulesets are difficult (simply because of the amazing detail in all things Osprey)

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:23 pm

The "Land of the Free" rules are fairly straight forward.... Anything from skirmish to major battles can be played; the rules make accommodations for smaller collections of miniatures..... Commanders are mounted on circular bases making them easy to spot... I'll be working on miniatures for these rules in the coming weeks..
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

Return to “Board Wargaming Discussions”