What wargame rulebook are you reading?

General Board Wargaming Talk

Moderator: Hagen

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What wargame rulebook are you reading?

Postby Whiterook » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:26 pm

In the last two posts, the games that caught my eye were Up Front and RoboRally. Both are games that I plan to try out someday
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Mark H. Walker

Postby Mark H. Walker » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:42 am

Soldiers of the Rising Sun, quirky title on the Pacific War.

Can't figure out how to upload an image of the rule book... sorry.

josta59

Postby josta59 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:29 am

Well hello, Mark Walker. What a pleasant surprise. Welcome to our humble forum.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Mark H. Walker

Postby Mark H. Walker » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:53 am

Anyone know how to do the image thing?

josta59

Postby josta59 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:05 pm

I think most of us find an image URL online and use the URL button above the text window to insert the image into the text. You could also upload an attachment of the image using the "Upload attachment" button below the text window.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Mark H. Walker

Postby Mark H. Walker » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:20 pm

Sort of like this?

[url]Image[/url]

josta59

Postby josta59 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:31 pm

Right, if "Image" is the image URL.

Lucky Luke

Postby Lucky Luke » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:05 pm

Whiterook wrote:In the last two posts, the games that caught my eye were Up Front and RoboRally. Both are games that I plan to try out someday

Roborally is a fun, simple and enough pc game-like to be a cool game....basically there is a huge computer running a big industrial complex somethere out in the...space? Desert planet? Is not an issue: the computer is bored to do almost nothing and it organize a robot race through the industrial complex. Enough for the story, put it aside.....

You are one of the robots running to win the race. Every turn you get some cards (nine when undamaged) with basic movement printed on each of them: turn left,turn right, reverse drive, move 1,2,3 spaces and you have to choose 5 cards and put them in order of execution. when all players have selected their "program", the robots are moved in 5 steps, and in each step all the matching movement cards are resolved at the same time(well, the cards have a number coding to execute them in order but follow me anyway...) and you could "push" other robots and spoil a perfect move.... :mrgreen:
The board is filled with conveyor belt, wall, turning cogs and other devilsh gadgets to make a "boring" race game alike a computer game....maybe if I could make the vassal module working we could play a short game here on MWF (if a lot of things will go in right direction.... ;) )

Up Front! is a card game about ground warfare down to individual soldiers....but I played some games almost thirty years ago and I can recall only few facts...I leave Duncan have the floor, if he wants (and after the convention so he can report some juicy combat report...), to speaks about this game....
V6!

Luca

"I'd rather be lucky than good any day."

Lucky Luke

Postby Lucky Luke » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:11 pm

Mark H. Walker wrote:Soldiers of the Rising Sun, quirky title on the Pacific War.

Can't figure out how to upload an image of the rule book... sorry.

But I can say that you know how to wrote one, indeed! I have the pleasure to see a 'Band of Heroes' AAR done by our Em, here in MWF some time ago...

Welcome !
V6!

Luca

"I'd rather be lucky than good any day."

josta59

Postby josta59 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:16 pm

Lucky Luke wrote:But I can say that you know how to wrote one, indeed! I have the pleasure to see a 'Band of Heroes' AAR done by our Em, here in MWF some time ago...

Heroes of the Gap was THE game that led to me joining this forum. I've still never played it because I'm a cheapskate and a loner...I keep hoping Em will break that one out for us eventually.

Return to “Board Wargaming Discussions”