Do you play in a game group?

General Board Wargaming Talk

Moderator: Hagen

User avatar
Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 7146
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:22 pm
Location: Massachusetts, USA

Re: Do you play in a game group?

Postby Whiterook » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:29 pm

Old thread, but still a great question.

I've found a group of Advanced Squad Leader players...'The Bunker Boys"...that play ASL on alternating weekends between the next town over from me (literally minutes), and a town up North that's about a 40 minute ride.

These guys are part of the New England, Yankee ASL organization, which appears to be based mostly in and around Boston.

After participating in the upcoming Nor'easter ASL Tournament outside of Boston at the end of this month, I plan on attending some of these starting in April and seeing where it goes. They appear to me to be an outstanding bunch, based on an email list I am (and the traffic I've seen).
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 2756
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:17 am
Location: Leamington Spa. U.K

Re: Do you play in a game group?

Postby Frank » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:28 pm

Sounds good, face to face gaming is still best.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

User avatar
Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1364
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:41 pm
Location: Central Ohio

Re: Do you play in a game group?

Postby Frizzenspark » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:41 pm

The Missus signed us up for C.A.B.S., The Columbus Area Boargaming Society;
Image
http://buckeyeboardgamers.org/home

They have an extensive game library; members can borrow most games for two weeks (one per member, though). There is plenty of table space; and a food truck is usually onsite.

Membership includes discounted admission to the Origins Game Fair.
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

User avatar
Duncan
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 489
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: Do you play in a game group?

Postby Duncan » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:26 am

I now host a bi-monthly wargaming session at my condo. The last two sessions got about a dozen people. The next session will have an Epic C&C Napoleonics game included. I'll probably be playing Advanced Squad Leader. I am debating continuing though because it costs me $50 to rent the space. It would be nice to have more people show up.

User avatar
Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 7146
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:22 pm
Location: Massachusetts, USA

Re: Do you play in a game group?

Postby Whiterook » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:29 pm

Duncan wrote:I now host a bi-monthly wargaming session at my condo. The last two sessions got about a dozen people. The next session will have an Epic C&C Napoleonics game included. I'll probably be playing Advanced Squad Leader. I am debating continuing though because it costs me $50 to rent the space. It would be nice to have more people show up.


It would be nice if they paid into attendance. Each person chipping in $5, at a dozen people helps deflect some of that overhead. Hell, I'd pay $5 for a good day of gaming in a big group like that.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

User avatar
Duncan
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 489
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: Do you play in a game group?

Postby Duncan » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:49 pm

Whiterook wrote:
Duncan wrote:I now host a bi-monthly wargaming session at my condo. The last two sessions got about a dozen people. The next session will have an Epic C&C Napoleonics game included. I'll probably be playing Advanced Squad Leader. I am debating continuing though because it costs me $50 to rent the space. It would be nice to have more people show up.


It would be nice if they paid into attendance. Each person chipping in $5, at a dozen people helps deflect some of that overhead. Hell, I'd pay $5 for a good day of gaming in a big group like that.
We've reached a deal now. My wife has been on the strata forever and seen our building through a stressful leaky condo lawsuit and repair. She does a lot of work still. In payment they are letting me use the common area without cost once a month. She now reminds me that her stress is for my gaming benefit. :)

User avatar
Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 7146
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:22 pm
Location: Massachusetts, USA

Re: Do you play in a game group?

Postby Whiterook » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:42 pm

Wives have a habit of multitasking what we owe them :lol:

That's good news, though....hopefully, that free use can be parlayed into more permanent arrangements. I used to live in an apartment complex that had a common unit....by the pool. It was nice having something like that on family and friends occasions. I can definitely see the benefits of use for gaming.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

User avatar
Duncan
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 489
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: Do you play in a game group?

Postby Duncan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:28 pm

We now have an official name. The Tri-City Wargamers! We had an evening session of Wings of Glory a week ago. One of the guys brought his 15 year old step-son and two of his young friends. Great to see the hobby grow. Great fun.

User avatar
Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 7146
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:22 pm
Location: Massachusetts, USA

Re: Do you play in a game group?

Postby Whiterook » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:27 pm

Duncan wrote:We now have an official name. The Tri-City Wargamers! We had an evening session of Wings of Glory a week ago. One of the guys brought his 15 year old step-son and two of his young friends. Great to see the hobby grow. Great fun.


LOVE that name! I'm very fond of 'Tri-City', as it's a moniker from the area I grew up in...nearby towns! Good choice!!!

Great to hear on the WWII minis game, and getting young folks active in our great hobby!
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning


Return to “Board Wargaming Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest